RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What octane is everyone running in thier Rover V8s?

The 3 octane ratings we have down here in New Zealand are 91, 95, and 98.

I have a 3.9L with sticky valve issues, currently using 95, but I've only had the car for 4 months (3000 miles/ 5000 kms), so unsure what the previous owners have been running for the last 20 years (109 000 miles/ 175 500 kms).

Is it worth price hike up to 98?

Interested to hear what other V8 owners are running and thier experiences.

Cheers!

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Just above the engine number on the block you will find the compression ratio of the motor. If it is a high compression motor you should use at least 95 if a low compression 91 is OK.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got a '95 LWB and have been running 85 octane. The previous owner of seven years ran the same. At 8,000+ feet above sea level, 85 is like running 87 octane, or regular grade fuel. 91 octane is the highest we have here, and I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever when running it.

Colin

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
87 at sea level. No issues so far

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
You need to remember that the US has a different measure of Octane and the figures are not comparable with other parts of the world.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I always use the cheap stuff, in my 3.9s, even the 01 4.6 that calls for premium only gets regular.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the one time I tried running premium (93) within 20 miles the CEL came on with a O2 sensor code. I switched back to the regular 87 and it kept throwing the code. Changed the sensors and don't dare to run anything nice in it anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts