RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the four air suspension struts, as two were leaking and the rear two didn't look too smart. I have replaced all "O"rings and bursting discs in the solenoid box, replaced the desiccant in the drier, overhauled the compressor, and although the EAS seems to work fine when driving about, as soon as I park it, the vehicle settles. Sometimes it goes down quickly, with the solenoids clicking in and out, and the vehicle goes down in steps, but at the front first. Other times it will drop to the bumper stops over two or three days of being parked up. I have now fitted two shutoff valves to the two front air supplies, and it does not drop at all now, which would suggest, to me, that the air was being dumped through the solenoid system, or the NRV, when I switch off the ignition, and park it up. I have not dabbled in any of the electrics yet, as the impression I have gained from other's experiences is that the most likely causes of suspension settling are to be found in the mechanical stuff I have mentioned. However, I wonder if one, or both, of the solenoids for the front suspension is dumping the air overnight? Is there any straightforward test for this (and are they reasonably priced for individual replacement).I'm sure I am not the first to experience this problem, and someone will know what to check next, so am looking for (more) help.:?:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was having similar problems, and replaced the valve block with an overhauled spare. It then was just setting on the front.

I stripped the original valve block and found a stripped bolt on the solenoid block that houses the nrvs. I removed the valve block from the car and added that block after overhauling to the original block and reinstalled the original.

Presto ! All fixed.

I would definitely look at overhauling the valve block, it is not difficult and kits are cheap.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
I'd start by replacing the timer relay under the seat with a standard 4-pin relay. That disables the auto leveling when you switch off the ignition and will allow you to determine if and which bag(s) is/are leaking.

Filip

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Filip,
That may well be my next option - I have replaced ALL bags, and none are leaking. I have overhauled the solenoid block twice (originally put in orange "O" rings, but I was recommended to NOT fit them but only use the hard black viton ones, so that is now done). I have replaced the EAS driver pack, which has removed the occasional spurious hard fault (High Pressure), but am still struggling to get the vehicle to stay up on its suspension overnight. It doesn't take long to pump up in the morning, but it just should NOT be settling. Can you shed a bit more light on "replace the timer relay" please? What is it supposed to do, and what ill-effects, if any, will happen if I replace it with a 4 pin relay (and do you have a part No/spec for this 4-pin relay?)

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Just replied to the other thread (as that one came nearer the top of the page).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts