RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I just recently got my 2004 L322 and learned that it doesn't have a locking rear differential, nor the locking front diff or center transfer case, a-la G-Wagen. This prompted the original question: what makes these rigs so legendary off-road and so much better than, say BMW X5 of the same vintage? Does it have some electronic wizardry that separates it from others?
Again, not trying to start a holy war here, merely trying to understand the truck's capabilities. I love it's on the road manners and would love to get it to get muddy at some point in the future.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't rock crawl, but I do occasional mud, creek crossing, gravel roads, and some rocky roads. I've never been stuck and never felt like I was barely hanging on, never needed more clearance. What makes a FFRR better than an X5? More ground clearance, terrain response, heavier duty components - just my guess. Is it as capable as a G-Wagen? Probably not.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sowr, awesome info! I have a first-gen L322 without terrain response and was also wondering if anyone here has some real-world input on how well those trucks do off of the beaten path.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
There are numerous threads with off road photos of L322s in the wild. I would also suggest your read your owners manual. You do indeed have a transfer case with low range at your finger tips.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I offroad around Silverton CO. I grew up driving Jeeps, and pee'd blood many a time after a spring outing from getting beat to hell over the rocks. Took my RR on the same trails and not only have no problem passing the jeeps, but after a day I'm ready to keep going. Night and day difference...absolutely no comparison between the RR and any other offroad vehicle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just curious but what kind of tires are you all off-roading on? I've seen many RRs doing it on stock 19" or 20" tires but I'd imagine they would limit the true potential of your off-roading capabilities.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Ya know Range Rovers have been the laughing stock of the off roading world since they were introduced. Let's skip all the L322 electronic gizmos for a moment and look at history. Everyone insisted stiff suspensions are far superior off road. Odd when the Range Rover soft suspension gave greater articulation thus better traction due tyres actually making contact on surfaces. The massive box frames gave body rigidity while the soft suspension allowed for much higher ground clearance without sacrificing comfort on road. The original Range Rover was the first off road designed vehicle to have an automatic locking centre diff and ABS tuned for off road use. In 1995 the original Range Rover carried the rear badge of "Classic" as the all new P38 went on sale as well. With the P38 improvements in EAS over the last gen original RR even more articulation was allowed, ABS was improved and TC became standard. A huge departure was made in the L322, unibody construction and full independent suspension. With wide use of automation and huge tech improvements the L322 expanded off road abilities. The L322 finally saw higher output in engines for on road presence that marque was lacking.

Not bad for a tractor designed by a company with a largely military presence.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The original Range Rover had a manually selectable centre locking diff powered by inlet manafold vacume via a push/pull switch. I think it was in the mid/late eighties that they first went to an automatic locking diff.

·
Registered
102 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts