RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help help help!

Where to start... I have a 2004 RR that has, according to a scantool, advanced timing (P1526). When I scan the truck with RSW program, it gives me a few different errors; open crankshaft circuit on bank 2, and a VANOS error on bank 1. I was going to pull everything apart and retime everything (I need to pass emissions), however, looking at the cylinder banks, I am confused. This doesn't look like any of the VANOS that I've seen pictures of on this forum. I did find out that the valve covers for this engine are for a 1997 BMW 750IL (different gaskets than a 2004).

So I'm wondering if an engine swap was done and the dealer was dishonest? Could this be the ECM for the 2004 not reading the engine correctly? (if it is a different engine?) Did the dealer screw me and now I won't be able to time the engine properly? See pics of the banks, I don't see any VANOS at all on bank 2, and bank one looks strange.

Somebody, anybody, please... Any advice you can give me.

Bank2(driver).jpg Bank1(passenger).jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The deeper I dig in, the more I am convinced this is a non-VANOS engine. Any suggestions? Can I take the dealer to court for selling a vehicle that knowingly had no hope of passing emissions? IMG_20190812_193829.jpg IMG_20190812_193755.jpg

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
385 Posts
How long ago was the purchase? Is the dealer not cooperating?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
786 Posts
Those cylinder heads look like they are from the M62B44 engine which does not have Vanos. The correct engine for the early L322 is the M62TUB44 and it is possible to fit that engine with non Vanos heads which may be the case here or the whole engine may have been swapped which is the most likely scenario.

The engine number will be the give away. Its situated at the front of the engine in the "V". I dont have the exact details close by but there will also be a model number close to the engine number which identifies the engine block. The M62B44 is a 448s1 and the M62TUB44 is 448s2 or something similar.

So I would suggest you first identify whether the block is correct or not and then decide where to go from there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow this is a first for me. Like the others said the engine number should settle whether the engine was swapped over from an earlier pre-Vanos M62 (like an early model 740i).

However, I can’t help but wonder if someone found a way to delete Vanos from an M62TU, which may also be a possibility. They would almost certainly have to have changed the DME module (engine computer) under the hood in the electrical box too to keep the car from complaining about not having any Vanos solenoids.

There is another way you could easily identify whether you have a modified M62TUB44 or an engine that is entirely a pre M62TU/pre-Vanos, and that is by looking at the back of the intake manifold for a cyclonic oil separator. If you see the funnel shaped oil separator mounted in the passenger’s side near the firewall then you’ll know it’s most likely an M62TUB44 Vanos engine that’s been modified. If you don’t see the cyclonic separator, then it’s most likely an entirely different pre-Vanos engine.

The dealer may have known of the swap or not, I cannot advise on whether or not legal action can be taken. It just keep in mind that it could have been that someone just replaced the engine or deleted Vanos in a short-sifted effort to simplify their vehicle and then eventually sold it. Every car has its demons so I don’t know what your situation would allow for or not.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
48 Posts
That is a Non Vanos M62..

The TU added Vanos on the intake Cam..

This is one i did earlier this year,..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to keep you guys hanging so long. I found out that this was indeed a swap to a non-vanos engine. Out of a 1997 BMW 740IL. The real issue is the ECM was still looking for the camshaft sensor on bank two. None existed. There isn't even a slot for it.

But I have a bigger issue. Turns out that car has almost never passed emissions. It has a Buyback\Lemon title that I was unaware of (stupid of me to not ask for the Carfax when I bought it, and the dealer did not offer - which I found out is illegal if the dealer knows the car is defective). I went to trade the car in and the dealer was kind enough to pull the Carfax and show me. Up and down the list, emissions failure, emissions failure... quite a few of the owners only had the vehicle for a year, then sold it when it couldn't pass emissions. Even before that point it was in and out of the service bay... Seems like I was just the next fish on the hook.

I still have the contract - and the Carfax from the dealer who gave me the honest truth. I will be contacting an attorney about this one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also don't have it anymore - I upgraded to a 2011 HSE

·
Registered
385 Posts
Did you get much for it on the trade in?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, not at all. $500. Which I understand. No one will want to purchase it at price based on the condition. The dealer said, "you could try and sell it privately, as a dealer I wouldn't want to."

Neither would I. Not in good conscience. Yeah, I got hooked and scaled, but I wouldn't want to intentionally do that to someone else. Not that kind of guy. Lost $5000. Maybe I can get some kind of relief in court.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Good luck. I hope you do.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If this isn’t a case of sleazy predatory sales practice, I don’t know what is. Take them to small claims court, it will be a nearly guaranteed win.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts