RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I asked this question in a jacked thread befor, I only got one answer or so, I thought i'd try again.
I would really appreciate some feed back..

Thanks Scotty

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Whatever is on sale. With 175k miles, it really doesn't matter much at this point.

Given the choice though, I try to stick with Quaker State, Castrol, or Valvoline. For some reason, I've never been a fan of Pennzoil...no idea why.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mag. do you use the 75k special oil?

Scotty

·
Registered
640 Posts
Castrol Magnatec 10-40w Semi Synthetic.

Cheers

·
Registered
442 Posts
Scotty theres plenty of posts on oil, if you are in a warmer climate go for a 10/50 w or 15/50w semi synthetic oil, ,change out every 3000miles for you 5000klms

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Scotty said:
Hey Mag. do you use the 75k special oil?

Scotty
Nope. Whatever is on sale. And I change out at 7500 miles.

As for filters, normally the fram tough grip goes with the sale, but sometimes it's something else. I seriously don't care what it is. Major oils and filters are so close to each other these days it just doesn't matter to me. Do I care that one traps 99.99% of particles and the other is 99.82%... no. I don't care about the brand of gas I put in, the octane (87 by the way), or the puppy I kicked yesterday. It just doesn't matter to me.

Would synthetic give me another 20k miles? Who knows. Probably. I do know that if my Rangie took a big huge dino oil crap in my driveway tonight, and never ran again, the type of oil I used wouldn't even come to mind. 175k miles is just fine by me on the original engine and tranny. It'll just give me an excuse to turn the range into a 600 hp fire breathing dragon! (just kidding)

Best of luck...happy researching. I have some football to watch.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Beam me up Scotty.

Redline - the bomb ! Only Pennzoil I use is for the ZF tranny running an additive to help keep it cool during the Indian summer ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Castrol 10W60 Edge Sport - change every 10-15.000 km (oil and filter)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Fully Synth 5w30. Simply because the OEM supplier (it used to be called Unipart when it was the Leyland subsiduary) Partco sell it at £17 for 5L. An absolute bargain I think you will agree.

:pray:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I prefer and use 15W40, its wide temp range is ideal for many climates, idealy I use Shell Helix 10W40 or Rimula R6 which is a synthetic 15W40 diesel oil, proberly the best oil for the V8s

I always maintain a good branded oil is the least anyone can use and to stay away from cheap chip oil

·
Registered
151 Posts
Currently mobil 1,but previously castrol gtx then magnatec just the cheapest i could get at the time of the top brands.
mobil 1.... ASDA sold off their stock at £17 per 4 litres i's the first and last time the wife asked me to go shopping :D
But now looking at shell helix ultra 5-40

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
We always use Belco semi-synthetic 10W40, for the P38a and RRC V8 as well as for the diesels. Changes around 5000 (V8) to 10000 (diesel).

·
Registered
922 Posts
3:1 Castrol Magnatec 10W40W /Magnatec 15W-40W Diesel engine oil ... keep it VERY clean :D

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Castrol GTX High Miles is what I pour. They poured Castrol from the factory.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright then it appears that any oil will do, I will begain using the Castrol GTX thank you guys for the replies...

Scotty

·
Registered
293 Posts
What do you think about Mobil 10w-60. I have friends using it here (not on RRs, but famous oil consumers like opels), and they say engine runs smoother, and does not consume oil anymore.

Mobil 1 Extended Life 10W-60[h=1][/h][h=3][/h]Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil
[h=2]Product Description[/h]Mobil 1 is the world’s leading synthetic engine oil brand delivering our ultimate performance and protection.
Mobil 1 Extended Life 10W-60 is engineered for the specific demands of older vehicles.
[h=2]Features and Potential Benefits[/h]Mobil 1 Extended Life 10W-60 is engineered to help provide long lasting protection in higher mileage engines so you can get long life out of your vehicle.
  • Extra seal conditioners to help prevent oil leaks
  • Helps to reduce sludge build up to keep engines clean and prevent wear
  • Outstanding/Excellent oil film thickness for extra protection in older engines
  • Higher viscosity to help reduce oil burn off in older engines
  • More anti-wear additives to help protect worn engines
  • High performance basestocks for excellent all-round wear protection
[h=2]Applications[/h]Mobil 1 Extended Life 10W-60 has been designed to help provide the extra protection that older engines can demand. It is suitable for virtually all types of older vehicles and operating conditions.
  • Older vehicles
  • Nearly all operating conditions, from mild to extreme
  • An ideal product for Racing applications

·
Registered
541 Posts
I also will usually see what is on sale. Advance Auto parts often runs and oil change special where you can get a gallon jug or 5 or 6 bottles of oil and a filter for what you'd normally spend for just the oil. Often it is the good stuff too. Now sometimes you have to buy a junky filter just to get the deal. I prefer K&N 2004's since they have the nut welded to the top of the filter that can make getting it off easier (the Rover and my Jeep use the same filter = WIN).

Last time they ran the special I picked up the jug of Castrol Syntec Blend, 10w-30 if memory serves, and that's what the Rangie is leaking.....er....using right now. 168,000 miles on it FWIW.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm currently running Kendall dino 10w40 and a purolator filter(under $4 on amazon). Not sure what the previous owner was running, but it was leaking a bit at a few places, but since switching to the 10w40 no leaks.

I always run synthetic on all my vehicles(not looking to get into a debate on that) and I want to run it in the p38, but I'm worried with 155k+ miles that if I switch this thing is going to leak like crazy. Anyone had experience switching a rover to syn at high mileage?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts