RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm considering ordering my first RR but the delivery time was about 6 month(!). Therefore I'm thinking the different wouldn't be much to wait a few month and get the 2015 years model of RRS instead. The question is what is the changes? Hopefully they have improved it from the experience they have received so far.

I've only test driven it and out of that I only have two recommendations to LR;

A) Upgrade the CPU and software for the MMI (or what its called in RR language, -yes I drive an Audi today ;). It's slow like an old PC, the software is not logical to use and the screen/resolution feels 10 years old....

B) Of course I should be able to choose both Traffic sign recognition AND HomeLink! For some reason I can't get both(!)

Please Mr Land Rover please correct these two topic for the 2015 years model and I promise to purchase one!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hi,

I'm considering ordering my first RR but the delivery time was about 6 month(!). Therefore I'm thinking the different wouldn't be much to wait a few month and get the 2015 years model of RRS instead. The question is what is the changes? Hopefully they have improved it from the experience they have received so far.

I've only test driven it and out of that I only have two recommendations to LR;

A) Upgrade the CPU and software for the MMI (or what its called in RR language, -yes I drive an Audi today ;). It's slow like an old PC, the software is not logical to use and the screen/resolution feels 10 years old....

B) Of course I should be able to choose both Traffic sign recognition AND HomeLink! For some reason I can't get both(!)

Please Mr Land Rover please correct these two topic for the 2015 years model and I promise to purchase one!

There's a software update thread and somewhere on page 7000 you're find the 2015 updates. I'll save you a bunch of time, wait for the 2015.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Same situation for me here! I've asked my dealer and he has informed me MY2015 production will start in July for delivery here in September. My first reasons to wait are the software update (I have done one hour test drive and it is not a the proper quality level for a car like this!) and the new ZF

For me it is logical to wait, alternative option is to order now for delivery June but it doesn't make sense for just 2/3 months difference...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not all Europe, here in Italy it is not offered.

·
Banned
144 Posts
There's a software update thread and somewhere on page 7000 you're find the 2015 updates. I'll save you a bunch of time, wait for the 2015.
think we can sum it all up in this thread anyway?

i couldn't find a definitive list in that thread anyway. just a lot of speculation

·
Registered
340 Posts
If your at this point without an order there is no question I would wait for the 2015 no matter what its improvement is as it will be better than the last.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
think we can sum it all up in this thread anyway?

i couldn't find a definitive list in that thread anyway. just a lot of speculation

Warning: This is by no mean accurate or comprehensive. It could be mostly rumors. It was taken from the JLR press release and a few articles that followed on other posts and blogs. There's NOTHING that says ANY of these will make it to the US in 2015 or ever for that matter. So read with that caution in mind. With that said, if I was placing an order today, I'd wait for 2015 even if there wasn't a single update being made. The red ones are the ones I find significant.
  • Significant update to engine range to meet euro 6 emissions and improve mpg (requirement for all new cars effective Jan 1st 2015).
  • Possibility of the new Hotfire JLR engine to join line-up as an entry level model. The new engine factory is due to open in Wolverhampton, UK in March 2014. It’s confirmed for the Sport in MY15. Not available in all markets and U.S. will not be one of them, unfortunately. Unless you all complain I suppose!
  • Significant update to infotainment, GPS and accompanying seating controls via touch screen display. Think Apple IOS meets Telsa S. This will feature throughout the JLR range and is something they have been working on for sometime. Featuring a HD screen albeit with the loss of the dual view function currently available (this is due to the dual view technology currently unable to work with HD screens apparently). This new system is ‘wow’ I’m told and finally features such things as album artwork a la iTunes.
  • 9speed ZF auto gearbox standard throughout range as previewed and available now on MY14 Evoque.
  • Torque Vectoring standard throughout range.
  • Airbag deployment within seatbelt restraints standard on AB optional on rest of the range.
  • Driver Head-up display standard on AB optional on rest of the range.
  • Heated front seat armrests standard on AB optional on rest of the range.
  • Improved climate seating cluster.
  • Terrain Response 2 standard throughout range.
  • Extra large water bottle standard throughout range.
  • Improved LED mood lighting standard on AB optional on rest of the range.
  • Full LED lighting throughout the vehicle standard throughout the range.
  • 3 new body colours including options of all body coloured gills and sill line.
  • 3 new interior wood choices.
  • 3 new wheel designs.
  • LWB model to be officially announced and available Sep/Oct 14.
  • RS higher performance model to be officially announced and available Sep/Oct 14.
  • 5 year one off payment service pack as available in the New Range a Rover Sport and Evoque models.
  • The MY15 model is available for delivery Sep/Oct 2014.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If they update infotainment system, hopefully they don't completely screw the customers that purchase the 2014 model with no opportunity for updates. I would expect some sort of software updates for the current model given the luxury status of these vehicles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If they update infotainment system, hopefully they don't completely screw the customers that purchase the 2014 model with no opportunity for updates. I would expect some sort of software updates for the current model given the luxury status of these vehicles.
99% it will not be possible: screen resolution changed, new processing power needed and... above all, an "official" reply already read here in the forum from somebody in LR that expressly said it will not be possible. Reason why I've decided to postpone my order and wait for MY 2015

Regarding the Infotainment system on the New RRS, you are correct that JLR are planning to launch Telematics (e-call, b-call, Stolen Vehicle Tracking and Wi Fi Hot Spot) and Apps option (via IOS or Android smart phones) upgrades to the current system under the 'InControl' heading, however earliest introduction timing is now 15MY specification vehicles due to be released Q3 2014.
There is no plan to upgrade pre 15MY vehicles due to the significant Hardware and Software changes required to introduce the new features - essentially a combination of new Electronic modules, roof console switch pack, device interface panel and 3G Antennae module which would necessitate a complete Body Harness replacement in addition to the parts above, and would not be recommended from a quality perspective.
Essentially both these new features are options and the core infotainment system remains unchanged even at 15MY apart from a minor UI change to the Home screen only. We will not introduce a fully 'Internet Connected' platform until 16MY earliest.

·
Registered
70 Posts
From this it sounds like there will only be "minor" changes to the UI in the 2015 model....so not sounding too bad in the near term. 2016 looks to be more dramatic changes. A staggered roll out would make sense.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Agreed, I'd be very surprised if dramatic changes are made (although one never knows) given the RRS sport redesign was just made. No way am I willing to wait for the 2015 given that by the time the dealer takes your order you are looking at another 3-5 month build.....another year from now! I am building now and if I enjoy my first LR experience, I'll order another new one again in 5-8 years. Hopefully by then we finally have diesel-hybrid in the US.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That would be a HUGE amount of changes from '14 - '15. My opinion based on owning a number of vehicles and paying attention to their evolution ... Given the new body style, etc, i doubt anything major will change and I don't think we can expect a significant amount of incremental changes all at the same time. New colors (maybe, but there are already a significant amount), options like heads up being moved down from ATB (Maybe), Wheels design options typically get added at the end of a model life, the Infotainment change would be pretty major in my oppinion but i would be surprised if that was rolled out until mid way through the model life .... I say this largely because they don't have to do it now and the '14 people would go ballistic!

·
Registered
531 Posts
That would be a HUGE amount of changes from '14 - '15. My opinion based on owning a number of vehicles and paying attention to their evolution ... Given the new body style, etc, i doubt anything major will change and I don't think we can expect a significant amount of incremental changes all at the same time. New colors (maybe, but there are already a significant amount), options like heads up being moved down from ATB (Maybe), Wheels design options typically get added at the end of a model life, the Infotainment change would be pretty major in my oppinion but i would be surprised if that was rolled out until mid way through the model life .... I say this largely because they don't have to do it now and the '14 people would go ballistic!
By heads up being moved down from ATB you mean Heads Up Display? Because its not available at all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
By heads up being moved down from ATB you mean Heads Up Display? Because its not available at all.
Sorry, wrong example, my mistake. I do think in general that adding something like Heads Up Display as an Option, is a different deal (meaning more acceptable to current owners than significant changes to the Standard Features like a major upgrade to the Infotainment System in the 2nd model year.

·
Banned
305 Posts
i don't expect a significant update to the car until 2017 model year world wide. at that point I expect full led headlights and a true HD interior infotainment display with wi-fi and all that. dealers have been under a lot of stress by the younger customer base that is buying these cars. this new base is very internet and tech savvy and I very concerned with updates. some people are cancelling or delaying orders to have the best and latest. in fact, this is one of the reasons that they delayed the intro of the sport rs model from the geneva show this year to the fall of this year in paris. btw- I have wi fi on another of my cars and have never used it. (can connect to 6 separate devices, lol- car seats 5).

·
Registered
114 Posts
sadly only a small percentage of those updates may make it to the US market.
Sadly, only if you didn't buy the 2014. As a first time LR owner, I would be upset if all of these updates made it to the '15 model - would dampen the resale of the '14 model. Especially since they are answering all the major complaints about the '14 within 1 year of it being out (the GPS, HUD, etc.).

Has this become the standard nowadays? I remember the old days when a model would be the model for 5-7 years and the only changes that would be made would be fixing what was 'broken' in the old models.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts