RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

New to the forum, just migrated from P38 and now have a 2006 4.4 L322... and what a lovely car indeed !!
While doing some minor repairs I noticed that these round metal thingies were warm to the touch, i.e. they were alive, the Ignition was off but the car unlocked.
What are they and what do they do ?
Is this normal or are they going to drain my battery dead ?

Thank you and best regards,
Aristides

DSC_0331.JPG

DSC_0332.JPG

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,085 Posts
Each valve feeds one side of the heater core so you can have individually adjustable temperature settings on the driver and passenger side. They should not have power after the key is off, but they are controlled by the HVAC controller, so it may not be shutting down properly when the key is off. Do you know if they are on electrically? They do sit on the heater core pipes so if the engine is warm then those will be as well whether they are energized or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen for your replies.
No, the car was stone cold. I will check tomorrow with a multimeter to see if they are on elecricaly. Are they just valves or are they stepper motors ?
Car has sat for three of days and battery is still strong.
This made me thinking... I have noticed that when I unlock and I enter the car (ignition off) I hear, what I think it is, the HVAC working, a sound like it's adjusting the flaps.
Is it maybe that the HVAC is waking up upon unlock or this is not normal ?
Aristides

·
Registered
531 Posts
You can check it on nav menu. Heater timing
Or you can check it mechanical remove the battery, webasto located under the battery and you can look after the coolant valves. Webasto has his own coolant valve after the heater valves. Not double like heater valves very similar single valve

If you have webasto its working automatically under +5C temperature and heats not the engine heats only interior. Stupid system webasto build for heating the engine but British engineers use it for hvac system.

It can activate your coolant valves theoretically

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
We don't get that here in the US (guess we might set ourselves on fire or something, or we are not considered a cold enough country), but it would be nice to have stuck in the side of the road with the wife in 20 degree weather waiting for a tow.

I could probably adapt one of those Chinese diesel powered HVAC heater units and stuff a small diesel tank under the rear of the car and plumb the exhaust into the trucks exhaust pipe near the muffler for those rare occasions, or for camping. Those things put out 5 to 10 Kw of heat and sip fuel so you wouldn't need much (maybe a half gallon at most) to heat the interior of an L322 for 24 hours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Heater Timing at Nav menu.. so I guess no Webasto.
Went this morning unlocked the car, valves were stone cold. This is good news.
Left the car unlocked, returned after ten minutes and the valves were warm.
So I can confirm that whatever triggers them is upon unlock.
Also the little interior temp sensor fan is on regardless of ignition on or off... so guess that the HVAC turns on upon unlock ? I find this strange. Could it be a setting?
Need to get me a IIDTool..

·
Registered
531 Posts
We don't get that here in the US (guess we might set ourselves on fire or something, or we are not considered a cold enough country), but it would be nice to have stuck in the side of the road with the wife in 20 degree weather waiting for a tow.

I could probably adapt one of those Chinese diesel powered HVAC heater units and stuff a small diesel tank under the rear of the car and plumb the exhaust into the trucks exhaust pipe near the muffler for those rare occasions, or for camping. Those things put out 5 to 10 Kw of heat and sip fuel so you wouldn't need much (maybe a half gallon at most) to heat the interior of an L322 for 24 hours.
Maybe you can find a webasto from bmw. Exact fit.
You can adapt webasto to heat the engine too.
Just ecu is going crazy in first 15 min. Coolant temp 50 oil temp -30C
Range rover owners in russia are bypassing coolant temp sensor with a switch

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It could be an issue with your final stage resistor (FSR) in the blower motor circuit. When that goes bad it typically leads to all kinds of issues with the HVAC system staying on and killing batteries. Its a known issue in the older trucks, most people will get to see it if they keep the vehicle long enough. Not an expensive fix, but you need small hands if you don't like getting cuts from all the sharp metal under the dash.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It could be an issue with your final stage resistor (FSR) in the blower motor circuit. When that goes bad it typically leads to all kinds of issues with the HVAC system staying on and killing batteries. Its a known issue in the older trucks, most people will get to see it if they keep the vehicle long enough. Not an expensive fix, but you need small hands if you don't like getting cuts from all the sharp metal under the dash.
Yeah maybe culprit is hedgehog

Mark if you have big hands there is always an option

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I try to minimize those options. Seems I always have a few screws left over when I to that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts