Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What component are the arrows in the below picture pointing to? I just started getting a really loud ticking sound audible from outside the vehicle, and after using a stethoscope, it's coming from these two points when I touch the stethoscope to it in these locations (the bracket and the accessory too). There is a pulley on the front that I will remove the serpentine belt to be sure it's not a bearing or something causing the sound, it sounds like metal on metal. I looked in RAVE and couldn't get a good idea of what this is...something to do with the timing chain?

As a side question, what fluid is going to it, and is that a valve that could be blocked on the top?

Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Fuel line Vehicle

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did some more searching and it's the power steering pump. I'll have to check the fluids, but I've got no issues at all with steering or whine or anything. I'll have to test to see if it could be a bearing or something internal to the pump that's giving me the LOUD ticking sound, I'm not sure what that would be. You don't hear it when driving, but if you're in a semi-enclosed area or standing by the vehicle, it's pretty loud. Unfortunately when my ac compressor clutch went up in flames, it sealed the power steering pump reservoir, but I should be able to fix that or just replace it.

I was almost positive it was noisy lifters I was hearing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I took the serpentine belt off, but I still get the ticking sound when idling. Since the pulley isn't spinning, I would think that eliminates the power steering pump, even though my stethoscope still is loudest when it's touching the power steering pump, nothing else around it gives off that sound. Strange.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Perhaps one of the front lifters has malfunctioned and is not holding pressure anymore? You could try running the engine with the rocker cover removed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
- Did you ever identify the problem/noise? I have the exact issue which just started yesterday? figured the power steering as well but not to sure after reading your post. did an oil change, noise went away for a short minute and returned soon after while idling in the driveway.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sounds like a tapper, if it went for a while then came back, try giving it a good run, it might clear itself. Otherwise check powersteering pulley in case it's come loose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.