RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have a 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4L. It's at 200k miles now and stopped cranking overnight. After some troubleshooting, there's a chance the motor might be toast. The plan is to tow it to my mechanic's shop for more extensive testing like fuel rail pressure and compression test. With that said, if the engine is really toast, I am debating parting out the car as most of the preventative maintenance was already done and most is fairly new. (Air shocks, radio, wheels, hood, fenders, etc).

Is there a demand for these parts though even if I go for a quick sale at lower prices?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Whoa horsey, 200K miles is easily obtained with decent maintenance. It's not likely that you engine would be"toast" overnight. Fuel pressure has nothing to do with not cranking. not cranking is electrical, not "toast". Things you can do yourself...disconnect the battery, make sure the cables at the battery are spotless, free of corrosion. Trace the black cable to the other end, again look for any corrosion or a loose connection. trace the red cable down to the starter check for oil build up and clean it up any way. also check the small wire off to the side on the solenoid. It can be a couple very easy/cheap things you DO NOT need any thing with fuel or compression checked out... it will be an electrical issue like a failed starter relay. failed starter or a weak battery.

Do not part it out, you won't get much for parts.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
If it truly does have a blown motor (which you should confirm) just a few small things pulled and sold on ebay is worth more than the entire SUV in one piece. Then get paid again when a junker comes to take it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts