RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the cost of a brake job. First the pads only and then the rotors.

Is it possible I could ask you to call your local dealer. The idea is to get a baseline average and see where a dealer falls into it. Not on price alone but mainly on cost of living compared with the cost of a brake job. We should see the dealers in Calli the highest but I am curious if that is actually true. Are other dealers adding more and taking away labour?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Re: What is the cost of brand new brakes at your local dealer?

Da boss,
I don't have a pad only price but its $1600 for the full sheebang F/R on the HSE here in N. NJ.

At Gooseyloosey Auto Repair, LLC its ~$900 cheaper, in part because I work so cheap :D

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts

I can't remember the EXACT quote, but it was something right around $260 + $215 = $475 for just pads only and labor, front and back. I am fairly certain it was not more than that. I'm assuming this also included new clips for the pads and the bolts that hold the caliper in. I ended up doing them myself with a lil' help from da goose. :thumb:

I'm cheaper than goose, but I drink on the job, break sensors, and loose clips.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Just had my front breaks replaced pads only and cost me just under $500... Usually I am stuck having to replace pads and rotors this time guess I got lucky just having to replace pads.

·
Registered
30 Posts

TripleE said:
I can't remember the EXACT quote, but it was something right around $260 + $215 = $475 for just pads only and labor, front and back. I am fairly certain it was not more than that. I'm assuming this also included new clips for the pads and the bolts that hold the caliper in. I ended up doing them myself with a lil' help from da goose. :thumb:

I'm cheaper than goose, but I drink on the job, break sensors, and loose clips.
Rear brake pads + sensors and labor was $294 at Land Rover in Rancho Mirage, CA. 2006 RRS HSE

·
Registered
96 Posts

$900ish for front, $800ish for back. That's all in, I'm not sure what the breakdown is. I'm not sure if that's including labor as well but god I hope it is!

·
Registered
23 Posts

I don't have pads only, but at what I had been quoted was about $1,375 before tax if I remember correctly. Since Goodsey is in NNJ I should take him up on future repairs. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts

Id have to say if you lookied into Roverconnection.com they have pretty close to dealer pricing on pads and sensors from what i can tell. Almost and tire place that you trust to do good work can do the swap for you its not that hard. If your even remotely handy and you have the tools it can be done in an hour or so.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

OEM pads from bputah.com will cost you about $300 for front and rear. This is get you a set of pads that will wear out pretty quick in my opinioin and lots of brake dust.

I recommend Porterfield pads (www.porterfield-brakes.com), little more costly, about $330 for front and rear including shipping. They stop the vehicle really well, and minimal amount of dust, and sound and last much longer. They are made of carbon kelvar. used on more racing type cars, but have toned it down so you don't have to drive it a lot to warm it up.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts

I paid $145 to do the front pads only, no rotor, at LR Portland.
Keep in mind, where you see a major deviation from the $200 mark per end (front or rear) it's because they're doing the rotors as well.
Most of the time you can get away with just pads the first time around if you're below 45K, that's what my dealer said. I notice that some dealers want to sell you the whole rotor/pad combo off the bat, hence the seemingly high cost brake jobs i'm hearing about.

I thought I got a good deal from the dealer on my pad only job, but they also said they won't turn the rotors ever, so next time around i'm looking at new rotors and pads, so i'm sure I'll be paying around $700 per end.

Rafa

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

btw rafa, $145 is a great price anywhere, at the dealer that's fantastico.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Truck is at the dealer right now Land Rover of Alexandria (VA): Pads and rotors, front and back.... 1600

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts

gooseyloosey said:
btw rafa, $145 is a great price anywhere, at the dealer that's fantastico.
I know they quoted me $199, but they were able to save the sensor and took a little less time than they thought. I couldn't believe it, those guys are trying hard to stay competitive with the independents.

·
Registered
104 Posts

I was quoted $850 for the rear, rotors and Pads. This was at Budd's LR in Oakville Ontario Canada

I went to an independent for $539 but they reused the sensors.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

independants don't save a sensor the cut them off and splice the wire together. Thus preventing you from ever knowing your brakes are low till the grind.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

The boss said:
independants don't save a sensor the cut them off and splice the wire together. Thus preventing you from ever knowing your brakes are low till the grind.
Not sure if you can splice the wire together. Once you cut it, it kicks the the warning light on - I did it thinking I could keep the sensor off.

Knowing LR, there must be some resistance in the contact keeps the light off. I have an extra sensor - will check it out and let you know.

·
Registered
123 Posts

I simply cut and spliced my front sensor on my '06 until I get in there next time. I watch my brakes closely(especially consider I trailer quite a bit through the summer race season), so it's not a concern. My brake light has been out for weeks now without an issue. I have a new sensor which measured almost zero ohms - close enough to be a short. Before I had wondered if there was more to the impedance(capacitance or inductance) but it doesn't seem to be the case. These are simple brake indications and I couldn't imagine a complex system just to monitor brake pad wear.

·
Registered
55 Posts

To do pads only it cost me $440 at the dealer a month or so ago. Last time I'll do that. **** car sounds like a dump truck when it pulls up to a stop. The fact that I had to get it done when the truck was just CPOd a couple weeks before that is a fight I'm having with the dealer right now to get my money back for it.

·
Registered
322 Posts

The sensors are worthless, my brake pad light went on when my pads were 100% gone and the rotors needed replacing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts