RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to the RR community! My first post. (Well, second, including a blurb in Intro section.)

I am now a proud owner of '16 RR Sport HSE. Love the beast!

I am at 14k right now, so first oil change is just around the corner.

I love to work on my cars, so I am planning to change the oil myself. (Saw couple of YouTube videos showing how to change oil using an evacuation pump -- much easier than going under the vehicle I am used to with my older cars.)

Anyway, the question is about the oil itself. I read in the manual as well as on this board about the specially formulated oil (Castrol Edge Pro) used in and required by new Jaguars and Land Rovers. It is so special that it is not sold retail and can only be bought from dealerships.

I will probably swallow the pill and buy the Pro oil from dealers for my first few oil changes, just to avoid any risks with potential warranty issues.

But I wanted to ask: what is so special about this Castrol Edge Pro oil? Why JLR engines need it? What are specific qualities that many other fancy oil formulas don't have?

(I suspect that nothing bad would happen if I used different high-quality full synthetic oil instead of Castrol Pro. But I am surprised how strongly JLR pushes this and only this type of oil for its engines.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
First question: diesel or gasser? If it's a diesel, engine oil for turbodiesels is a special thing. It has to maintain its viscosity at higher temperature and pressure in the cylinder, and it has to deal with soot and diesel fuel infiltrating it over time, and it needs to last the recommended service interval under these conditions. Mostly it's in the additives from what I can gather. Auto manufacturers have been "qualifying" special formulations for over a decade. Some doubt that there's really much difference, but the chemistry is proprietary to each oil manufacturer, so short an expensive comparative chemical analysis between a standard Castrol Edge and that approved for JLR vehicles, there's really no way to tell. The question is, do you want to risk it? Many manufacturers such as MB, Porsche, Audi, and even VW have been known to order an oil analysis prior to warranty repairs where engine failure is concerned. If it's not the approved type, they will not honor the warranty.

I recently bought an evac pump and used it to change the oil in my wife's Volvo...and it was the best $100 I've ever spent from a shade tree mechanic perspective. No lift required, zero mess, and done in 15 minutes. Should have bought one years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for your reply, Steve!

Lubeudo does not show 0w-20 pro as available. Only 5w-20. Still better than nothing

Price is given as $11.99. Is it per 1 quart? Or for a case of 6 quarts. If the latter, then it is definitely a good deal

Can you confirm?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I probably would not want to risk it while under warranty. But I also wanted to know if there is any difference between JLR oil and the other synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 and Valvoline Extended Life. For my own education and in case of emergency

Oh, and mine is V6 Gas

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
You will want to check the listing. These specialized oils are usually sold by the Litre.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[FONT=&quot]Picture shows a bottle of 1 US quart. The description below suggests (?) that it is a case of 6?

Castrol EDGE Professional with FST Fluid Strength Technology (case) - 6, 1 Quart Bottles 5W-30

[/FONT]

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Kewl beans. Better safe than sorry. A few folks have been caught on motor oil and tranny fluid on the Qt/Litre bits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This link is interesting as it shows that Castrol Edge Professional Oil includes a special UV Dye.

This would most likely be confirmed when confirming valid warranty on catastrophic engine failures.

If some one has UV lamp this would be interesting to see photos of this UV effect proven.

Thanks, Steve

Castrol EDGE Professional with FST Fluid Strength Technology

This oil is usually exclusively for OEM New car Dealerships but now available to you thru LubeUdo

This oil formulation also contains color that is visible only under a UV light, which represents the signature of authenticity. T he dye is also valuable in tracking down oil leaks; or validating that engine service actually took place.

This oil is endorsed and recommended by OEM partners such as Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover......

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
599 Posts
I have a 2013 RRSC. Refill capacity (according to Topix) is 8 LITERS. I purchased 9 quarts of 5w20 and had some left over.

SK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all. Just finished changing the oil in my RRS. I used the oil suction method from the top. It was super easy. Bought 9qtr of Castrol Pro from a local dealer. $13/qt. Yikes! Still came out ahead in terms of cost.

I will probably stick with 10K changes from now on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts