RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my first posting; I own a Red RRS HSE, looked on Land Rover site but could not find what HSE stand for…… Any body knows?

·
Registered
22 Posts
HSE stands for "High Specification Edition"

HSE stands for High Specification Edition.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What does SE stand for (in the US you can get either an HSE or SE LR3, for example)? "Standard Edition", maybe?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think it should stand for "Higher Standard of Existence"!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
HSE used to stand for
High output- Special edition.

The intention of the "H" was to distinguish the difference between the 4.0 litre engine and the 4.6 litre engine in the P38A model range in the UK.

What the H represents now is anyone guess but that was its original intention. Today it most likely refers to a higher level of specification.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What HSE really stands for...

According to some upper level guys at Land Rover Corporate, the HSE stands for... are you ready...???... nothing... it stands for nothing. There was some speculation that it stood for "Hannibal Special Edition", but that's not true at all. It's just three letters that sounded cool together.

Apparently, the myth is that "Hannibal" was some mystic world-traveller that used Land Rovers and decided to let LR know what he liked and disliked about the vehicles after his global escapades. In return for his "knowledge", LR named a version of the Range Rover after him... the HSE.

Funny that this was actually a question on a test that I had while training in Phoenix for the new Range Rover Sport! I proudly raised my hand and stated that it stood for "Hannibal Special Edition" and was promptly shot down by the trainer!

Good board... keep up the good work! And of course, if you want to purchase a new or pre-owned Land Rover, you know who to call!

See you on the trails!

RON SURIANO
Senior Sales Guide - Silver Certified

LAND ROVER CAPE FEAR
20 Old Eastwood Road
Wilmington, NC 28403
Phone: 910-332-3500
Fax: 910-332-3505
Personal Website: http://www.CAPEFEARROVERS.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh, really?

So, let me get this straight... you're going to actually believe an automotive journalist? :eek: Don't you think that the people that actually manufacture the vehicle would know?

Listen, I'm not going to argue here, but if you think that I am the one that has succumbed to the urban myth... perhaps you should call Land Rover in the UK and ask them what it stands for. That would be an interesting call... :D

I have worked for Land Rover for many, many years... I have access to resources that most people don't... I have been to many, many Land Rover University classes all over the globe and have yet to find someone or something that has said or noted that SE stands for "Special Edition" and HSE stands for High-Specification Edition or anything else...

The acronyms and model descriptions of most vehicles mean nothing in most cases... they're just some letters that sound good to the marketing department! MDX? NSX? SLT? SRX? SL? CL? the list goes on...

Hey, I thought I knew what it stood for as well... but I had my ass handed to me by a very qualified instructor at the last school that I went to. I left red-faced... :oops:

Just my two cents here... and I don't want to piss anyone off. HSE does not stand for anything.

Cheers!

RON SURIANO

·
Registered
22 Posts
HSE

Wow, didn't realize you were so passionate on the topic. :D I could drag out a long reponse, but don't have time for that. It all depends on who you believe, automotive journalists, people that have been to Land Rover University, Fairys, whatever, it doesn't matter.

In the end, does it really matter what it means anyway, if it were called XXX, would it steer you away from the vehicle? So, this is a mute point. High Specification Edition is just as good a name as Holy Sh** Edition. The truck is awesome! Enjoy & Happy Driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts