RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Not trying to defend anyone, but that was not a real hummer. The H1 is the real deal (well the military ones anyway). H2 is basically a Suburban. An actual humvee is fairly impressive... with a snorkel they are designed to operate in up to 60 inches of water. Try that in a modern RR :think:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That said, I'd still rather have a RR any day of the week. Comfort, safety, and still comes from the factory with more capability than just about any other modern civilian vehicle.

·
Registered
867 Posts
That Humvee is sick! Under the freaking river!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
That's pretty impressive. Some LRs (properly fit) can go deep, but not completely submerged. The thing is that dude was essentially holding his breath because a) his compartment isn't airtight b) if it was he opened the door.
Still f-ing cool though

·
Registered
35 Posts
I didn't know that H2s went offroad. :lol: I see plenty here in town, but I don't think I've ever seen one in the backcountry!!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Humvee = military vehicle.

Hummer H1 = Hummer model most like the Humvee. It is very off-road capable. Sometimes a little wide for its own good, though. Impractical to drive on-road. Very cool feature: Via cabin button pushing, tires can be deflated and re-inflated (each separately controlled), to match conditions and to get over things like big rocks, etc.

Hummer H2 = Next Hummer model. Idiotic behemoth. Used primarily to go to the mall, and to put paint dings and dents in other cars when parked next to them and occupants open the H2's doors. I refer to it as "The Idiot Box". The one in the video above is an H2.

Hummer H3 = Most recent Hummer model. Very different from all predecessors. Smaller than all of them, also. It is off-road capable. I think if a bunch of suspension mods were added - including air suspension - it would be very capable. They are also surprisingly cheap. But all of this could be said of certain Jeep models, also.

Those with exclusively pro-LR/RR sentiment may not like what I have said, but facts/reality do not result from sentiment. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing RRs in 'embarrassing' situations, also. I do not plan on getting rid of my P38 - not at all. That's sentiment, though.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
detroit_pierogi said:
Hummer H2 = Used primarily to go to the mall, and to put paint dings and dents in other cars when parked next to them and occupants open the H2's doors.
Same can be said of ALL 4wd SUV's IMHO.
The vast majority of Range Rovers never see low range.
Vast majority of Jeeps never see true offroad conditions.
So on and so forth.
Point is, only "mall crawlin" is far from just a Hummer activity :thumb:

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
Not trying to defend anyone, but that was not a real hummer. The H1 is the real deal (well the military ones anyway). H2 is basically a Suburban. An actual humvee is fairly impressive... with a snorkel they are designed to operate in up to 60 inches of water. Try that in a modern RR :think:
I'd say a Defender was a fairer comparison.
With the Royal Marine landing kit, Defenders can wade through five and half feet of seawater.

The Defender does compare very favourabley with the original Hummer.
Its lighter, smaller, more fuel efficient, has a smaller engine, is cheaper yet carries more cargo and/or passengers.
And, tighter spaces, is better off road.
If the H1 was really all that then I'm sure it would be bought by military forces all over the world.
Rather than just the USA.

I will agree that the Central Tyre Inflation System is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
The Defender dosnt compare. It lacks lockers. Unlike the Humvee which has locking diffs.

If anyother military in the world could afford Humvees, they would use them. :thumb: Besides 7 or 8 other countries already use it.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Well when I am ordering 35,000 of them for my high mobile fighting force Im not going to want to also install lockers in them. I really doubt LR can fill orders as big as the DoD will demand and be able to build them to the same spec as the H1. LR isnt AM General.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
I know u guys r speaking strictly military (combat) but in terms of non combat uses around the world, LR has gm or Xian pin or whoever now owns hummer, down pat. Defender/LR have been to more parts of the globe as military, Int'l relief, NGO, etc etc than h1-2-3-4..... Combined!!!
Lockers or no lockers.
Solihull was more than Able to supply every one of it's colonies defenders & if I wasn't using this stupid phone I'd send u the link of hummer vs defender in worldwide usage.
Again we r talking capabilities to go anywhere. As we know even the h1 can't stop an rpg or ied even w all the armor in the world.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
LR isnt AM General.
Very true.....One of them is still making new models :lol:
Hummers (H1's) are losing ground very rapidly to another rig made in the USA also, just to prove that the "General" is far from perfect. :thumb:
I hauled a few, and everyone from the guys unloading, to the guys in the "field" love them a lot more than the Hummers. Where the Hummers good in their day? probably so. Are they dropping rapidly behind? Yeppppers.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and all, just giving the facts.

Martin
(Starting to get the impression that someone is blindly loyal regardless.....) :think:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
Doctor Leo said:
LR isnt AM General.
Very true.....One of them is still making new models :lol:
Hummers (H1's) are losing ground very rapidly to another rig made in the USA also, just to prove that the "General" is far from perfect. :thumb:
I hauled a few, and everyone from the guys unloading, to the guys in the "field" love them a lot more than the Hummers. Where the Hummers good in their day? probably so. Are they dropping rapidly behind? Yeppppers.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and all, just giving the facts.

Martin
(Starting to get the impression that someone is blindly loyal regardless.....) :think:

What your hauling which I am sure has been declassified now is built by a company I like alot more than AM General.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
What your hauling which I am sure has been declassified now is built by a company I like alot more than AM General.
Just saying, well stating the fact really, that AM General is far from perfect, and is indeed all but bust IMHO. LR may have been bought, but it was bought by some very stout business folks who no doubt saw a profitable enterprise when they saw one.
And to say that all military Defenders came without lockers is so far from accurate I wont bother directly commenting.
As always, just my .02 with living on both sides of the pond, as well as driving through 19 countries over the years......
Martin

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
No single vehicle is ideal for all conditions / situations. There is no 'best' means of transportation. A vehicle is a tool. You don't choose the tool for a project before knowing what task is to be accomplished.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts