RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMAG0109.jpg

Bloody hell, what happened here? Look closely between 5 and 7 ..... a pit about 3mm deep between the cylinders .. can anything be done to save it? (mech says not .. )

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Closeup please?
From the initial thoughts though..it's toast mate!
Would have to work it out, but taking 3mm off the deck would give the compression a "slight" bump....:-D

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Cylinder blew out I saw one just like it on Kinsington the other day that SUCKS!!:crybaby2:
Sorry but I think your out of luck...

·
Registered
408 Posts
It is possible that a good machine/engineering shop could 'spray' aluminium into the damaged area then machine both faces true, I said possible rather than probable! I had metal sprsyed onto a 1947 Bentley crankshaft with excellent results!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,761 Posts
blocks are so readily available I wouldn;t screw with it. If you are goinna keep the rig pick up another block or engine and rebuild. However I can;t not imagine any instance where you would not have had symptoms to alert you to impending disaster.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blocks are so readily available I wouldn;t screw with it. If you are goinna keep the rig pick up another block or engine and rebuild. However I can;t not imagine any instance where you would not have had symptoms to alert you to impending disaster.
Well, I agree with that, except to say that Julian used to run as sweet as a nut (as they say somewhere).

I had collected him for an a/c service, driving like granddad and all of a sudden a very loud sound like pre ignition or a bag of bolts rattling around in the engine. Backed off the throttle and sound went away.

As if whatever had been used to fill the pit had dislodged itself ..... however, no scratches on the piston, so who knows.

Mech looking for another engine now. We get surplus imports from Japan and Germany here, allegedly low kms ....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Closeup please?
From the initial thoughts though..it's toast mate!
Would have to work it out, but taking 3mm off the deck would give the compression a "slight" bump....:-D

Martin
Close up attached!

nasty lump missing.

Attachments

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Be a candidate for a top hat liner job, maybe.
All depends on how scarce the blocks are where you live I guess.....

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Good link Larry. I love me a bit of TIG welding:dance:

Martin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts