RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer says all the new VB RRS should use 91 octane grade (which is the middle unleaded) and not the 93 grade premium. He says LR tells them due to the more efficient engines this is best for the car. Is everyone else hearing this or have any other feededback on using different grades?

Thanks

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Use whatever grade the vehicle manufacturer recommends, no more, no less. Here in Southern California, 91 octane (R+M/2) is considered premium. Mid-grade would be 89, regular is 87. So, no changes for us I guess.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
903 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LMAO, I am guess the new Range Rovers don;t come with owner's manuals?
Thanks for that valued input. The manual says minimum 91 Octane and wondering if others have gone higher for any reason/positive performance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have always used Premium - 93 octane here in the NE. Always wondered if I am getting any benefit for the added cost - I will try 91 and see if any noticable difference, but I expect not.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
Thanks for that valued input. The manual says minimum 91 Octane and wondering if others have gone higher for any reason/positive performance.
You are certainly welcome. I also invite you to visit the search function. This topic comes up at least a dozen times a year across the models and the answers never change. Same results, same reasons and usually the same folks responding for the most part. As always follow your owners manual recommendations. Higher than recommended octane is not going to gain anything except a lighter pocket book.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Where I've lived in the south and Midwest only 87/89/93 are available. The only time I've seen 91 is when visiting family in SoCal.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
AFAIK, Land Rover has been recommending 91 octane fuel (R+M/2 method) minimum since the original Sport was introduced back in 2005, and possibly for earlier model years as well, for optimum performance. 87 octane or higher is the minimum required for all their engines, although performance will be affected accordingly. I don't believe they ever recommended 93 octane specifically, since that grade is not available in every part of the country. Here in SoCal, only a handful of gas stations sell 93+ octane, and even fewer have it without ethanol.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
My '97 Defender's were running premium gas also.

I am not even exactly sure were I have seen 91 in my area.

It usually is 87, 89, 92 or 93. Some stations have 100. Years ago we had 94.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Wow 100! I've never seen that or 92. I do remember seeing 94 on some rest stops along I-95 now that you mention it.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Wow 100! I've never seen that or 92. I do remember seeing 94 on some rest stops along I-95 now that you mention it.
94 was a Sunoco product. Ultra94 actually.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
That's racing fuel. Probably costs an arm and a leg.
$3.00 a gallon back when I bought it... Once. In early 90's I bought 5 gallons worth to put in my personal watercraft because I had just redid the engine and exhaust for more power. :)

We also had a customer who had put 100 or something close on their card lock network station. 99% of it was purchased for gas cans. They did tell me that they had one customer who put it straight in his Porsche.

Not sure what it costs now but I would bet your price estimate is close. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
FWIW: Here in NJ we typically have 87/89/93 except at Sunoco where they also have 91. I don't have a Sunoco near me so I alternate 89 and 93 at each fill-up and try fill-up at the 1/2 full/empty mark. I think this gets me pretty close to a 91 blend most of the time and I have not seen any issues so far.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My dealer says all the new VB RRS should use 91 octane grade (which is the middle unleaded) and not the 93 grade premium. He says LR tells them due to the more efficient engines this is best for the car. Is everyone else hearing this or have any other feededback on using different grades?

Thanks
I use 93, but I also have my vehicle tuned so it can take advantage of 93.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Octane is the fuels resistance to ignition. The higher the number, the more compression it can withstand before igniting. When an engine is tuned for 91, that's the minimum recommended octane level to prevent premature ignition, which leads to knocking. Modern engines retard the timing to prevent engine damage in this scenario, but the side effect is reduced efficiency. So running 91 or 93 is the same and will have no performance benefit. If the engine was tuned to take advantage of 93, you'd get some performance gains, I.e an aftermarket tune. 91 is the max you get in CA and a few other states, so it makes sense to make all US bound cars 91 and keep them tuned the same. I have yet to see any stock car require 93 for this very reason. To sum, just put in the minimum recommended octane in your tank. If 91 is required, put 91 or 93. If 87 is required, don't waste your money and just put 87 in. On a related note, use premium branded fuels, regardless of octane. Shell, BP, Chevron and Mobil have more cleaning agents in their blends that reduce carbon buildup over time, better than the no name brands out there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess it is all somewhat based on location. Below is what my dealer emailed me when I asked about gas.....

"Fuel is best at 89 octane. There is no 91octane here in the Midwest. 93 octane is not good for the valves in Cookcounty. Land Rover did a sampling of fuel and most of the premium they sampledin Cook county had more than 10% Ethanol. It won't hurt to occasionally use93%. The only reason 87% isn't as good is that the timing will be automaticallyretarded and give less performance/fuel economy."

FYI - cook county encompasses the largest section of the Chicagoland area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts