RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, couldn't find exactly what I wanted. I'm going to be buying new tires for my, as of right now, stock 2004. Obviously I'm running my 255/55/R19 set up.

I want to go with some sort of all terrains, so I can have some decent on road ride, but can handle some trails. The current tires are a joke, and I havent seen anything for the 19 inch rim offered. I'd prefer to not buy a set of 18inchers, as I would prefer to build my LX470, but apparently that is what I must do... unless someone has some suggestion on a tire set up?

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
543 Posts
RR95.

Join the club ? There's a very limited source of 19" rubber in stock from select suppliers so another set of rims is on the cards !

Do not even try to consider the Goodyear MT/R's, as the on-road handling from my mates Tojo resulted in him swapping ends.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
The Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/55/19 sound like a good choice for you, they have a relatively mild all-terrain tread but should be quite competent on the road as all-season tires as well. But I read on the RRS forum that they are backordered everywhere as of right now. If you are not in a rush... The 19" GY MTR (same size) are more aggressive off-road tires and tough as nails, but like vinniman said, probably not the best choice if you use them on the road a lot, especially on snow and ice (plus, the chunky tread pattern makes them quite noisy.)

Unfortunately that's about it for 19" all-terrain tires. :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
what about the Cooper Zeon LTZ or 18" BFG All Terrain 265/65/18

D

·
0 Posts
jope said:
what about the Cooper Zeon LTZ or 18" BFG All Terrain 265/65/18
We currently run them on both of our Rovers. They are great tires, but know this. They are wide, and if your Rover ever goes into suspension fault and drops to the bump stops while you are moving, you will rip the front tires out. In my personal opinion, Cooper might be opening themselves up to a law suit for marketing this tire to Range Rovers.

I should should add why this is:

The Air Bellows have the shock built into them. The shaft to the shock sits maybe less than an inch from the top of the tire and over the tire by about 3/4 inch. When your Rover goes into a suspension fault and is lowered to the bumps, this shaft will end up right in the tire and if you are moving it will rip it apart.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umbertob said:
The Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/55/19 sound like a good choice for you, they have a relatively mild all-terrain tread but should be quite competent on the road as all-season tires as well. But I read on the RRS forum that they are backordered everywhere as of right now. If you are not in a rush... The 19" GY MTR (same size) are more aggressive off-road tires and tough as nails, but like vinniman said, probably not the best choice if you use them on the road a lot, especially on snow and ice (plus, the chunky tread pattern makes them quite noisy.)

Unfortunately that's about it for 19" all-terrain tires. :(
No, the Rover is being moved back to Los Angeles sometime in May. So snow is not something I have to worry about. I haven't decided, but most likely I will dump the LX470 for when the Rover gets out to California.

So basically I need to go with 18 inch rims, or don't use the truck as intended. Land Rover didn't think this one out very carefully, did they?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Well, Tirerack says the 19" Pirelli ATRs are "only" backordered until late January if you can wait, although you know how it is with these tire manufacturers' estimates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts