RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see any new information/speculation on whether the 2021 RRS SVR will get the BMW twin turbo V8?

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
100 Posts
I don’t think we’ll see a new Range Rover full size until 2021 at the earliest. In that case then we wouldn’t see a new SVR with the BMW engine until then either - or later. I’m speculating so could be wrong but I doubt anything will change until the 2021+ MY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
+1 to that. They're in the process of launching the Defender. Not very likely they start messing around with anything else until that's sorted and is available in volume, everywhere.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1 to that. They're in the process of launching the Defender. Not very likely they start messing around with anything else until that's sorted and is available in volume, everywhere.
Well it will be exciting if they bring out the expected Defender SVR or SVX with the BMW engine when they rollout the 2 door Defender planned for late 2020.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Defender SVR with 500 hp BMW engine has now been confirmed from several sources for 2021, so wonder if Range Rover Sport SVR will get same engine but with 600+ hp?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Defender SVR with 500 hp BMW engine has now been confirmed from several sources for 2021, so wonder if Range Rover Sport SVR will get same engine but with 600+ hp?
Great article that captures the essence of the SVR experience and confirms there are future versions coming for the Range Rover Sport SVR including some electrification.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
290 Posts
Great article that captures the essence of the SVR experience and confirms there are future versions coming for the Range Rover Sport SVR including some electrification.
Canuck, thanks for sharing.
Great writeup.
I’m following along closely. It’s good news that the new defender will be using the BMW engine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We were having this discussion on the L405 side about what a shame it is LR is going back to BMW. Back when LR was part of BMW in the early 2000's the issues BMW was having BACK THEN make them look like Toyota compared to the issues they HAVE NOW.

Many of the modern BMW engines are disposable junk. Same engines, just different revisions with the same issues that they never fix. Rod bearings, Injectors, Rubber Gaskets, Valve Seals, the list is endless. Before the issues were at least isolated to the 8 cylinder models but now it affects every engine, 4, 6, 8.

Law suits upon law suits. I have owned several late model BMWs with these notorious V8 engines they are ALL JUNK. Doesn't matter if its an M or a normal V8 TT.

What a shame for real.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So given the Range Rover Sport major model update won’t be until 2022 would the BMW engine go in the existing model for the 2021 SVR? Would seem like a lot of work for only one year sales?

·
Registered
191 Posts
So given the Range Rover Sport major model update won’t be until 2022 would the BMW engine go in the existing model for the 2021 SVR? Would seem like a lot of work for only one year sales?
I think it won’t make sense, as the actual 5.0 meets all requirements and was latest updated in 2018.
I assume they will wait for the full change in 2-3 Years...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it won’t make sense, as the actual 5.0 meets all requirements and was latest updated in 2018.
I assume they will wait for the full change in 2agreement Ford agreement for the 5.0 is ending and so thi
I assume they will wait for the full change in 2-3 Years...
The 5.0 engine agreement with Ford expires and there will not be sufficient supply for another model year. It’s also why the Velar SVAutobiography with the 5.0 was only a one year offering.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 5.0 engine agreement with Ford expires and there will not be sufficient supply for another model year. It’s also why the Velar SVAutobiography with the 5.0 was only a one year offering.
There has been a lack of media speculation as to what the 2021 SVR engine will be so maybe they will skip a year and have new model and engine in 2022.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The 2021 F-Type V8 (not SVR) that was just released in the press this week has 575 HP. That’s the same as the current F-Type SVR and RRS SVR. Details of the 2021 F-Type SVR should come out in a few months this should provide some idea where the power will be for an updated RRS SVR. That is ......unless they keep the same format and power until a new RRS platform in 2022/2023.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 2021 F-Type V8 (not SVR) that was just released in the press this week has 575 HP. That’s the same as the current F-Type SVR and RRS SVR. Details of the 2021 F-Type SVR should come out in a few months this should provide some idea where the power will be for an updated RRS SVR. That is ......unless they keep the same format and power until a new RRS platform in 2022/2023.
Car and Driver magazine are reporting the F type SVR has been dropped - “and the V-8, which previously made 550 hp in the F-type R, now matches the power output formerly only available in the more exclusive SVR, which has now been dropped”. Maybe this is a bad omen for the future of the RRS SVR model?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I didn’t see that the 2021 F-Type SVR was dropped. Interesting news. Not sure what to make of it considering LR has recently said “We consider all (Jaguar and Land Rover) models (for the SV treatment), but only develop versions where there’s a clear opportunity to deliver the required level of amplification expected by SV customers. Demand for SV vehicles is growing rapidly every year and we’re very excited by the opportunities ahead of us.”

And: “Range Rover Sport SVR is one of SV’s most successful vehicles to date with a formula that retains a strong appeal for our customers,” Hameedi concludes. “As a business, we’re committed to maintaining the emotional connection that vehicles like Range Rover Sport SVR offer, while embracing new technologies such as electrification where appropriate.”

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I didn’t see that the 2021 F-Type SVR was dropped. Interesting news. Not sure what to make of it considering LR has recently said “We consider all (Jaguar and Land Rover) models (for the SV treatment), but only develop versions where there’s a clear opportunity to deliver the required level of amplification expected by SV customers. Demand for SV vehicles is growing rapidly every year and we’re very excited by the opportunities ahead of us.”

And: “Range Rover Sport SVR is one of SV’s most successful vehicles to date with a formula that retains a strong appeal for our customers,” Hameedi concludes. “As a business, we’re committed to maintaining the emotional connection that vehicles like Range Rover Sport SVR offer, while embracing new technologies such as electrification where appropriate.”

[/QUOTE
iWell if the 2021RRS SVR survives Land Rover is keeping it Beverly secrets if there are any changes from the 2020 model.

Well, if there is a 2021 RRS SVR, Land Rover is keeping it secret if there are any significant changes versus the 2020 model. The new Audi RSQ8 looks like a pretty tough competitor to compete against without some material positive changes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, if there is a 2021 RRS SVR, Land Rover is keeping it secret if there are any significant changes versus the 2020 model. The new Audi RSQ8 looks like a pretty tough competitor to compete against without some material positive changes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts