RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am in the processing of trying to figure out what type of SUV i would like to purchase. below are the SUVs that interest me and i am looking for something that is going to be fun to drive but also be reliable.

Touareg V8
GX470
ML350
Range Rover sport

i've driven all 4 of the SUVs and there are things that like about each one but there isn't anything that really really stands out for each SUV. there are also things that i don't like about each but nothing really too much to prevent me from buying the car. i have noticed that people on the internet and on cosumer reports say that the Touareg is very unreliable. so my question is, since the RRS is such a new car but it has some similarities to the Discovery, and since i have never owned a Land Rover... what are the potential downfalls or problems that may surface with owning the RRS? i am specifically talking about problems that would cause me to have to bring the RRS to the dealership all the time because something is broken on it. i mean, you never really hear anything going wrong with the Lexus SUVs. you do hear things go wrong with the ML and X5. so, is the RRS a SUV that i will be able to keep for like 5 years and not have major problems with it. granted all cars have problems, but i don't want something that i will regret paying 56k for. hopefully some knowledgeable people can help me out here.

if you plan to flame in this thread, than stay out.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
381 Posts
I have come "down" to the RR Sport from an L322 Rangie........... best move I ever made! I loved my L322........................ it was a real "sense of occassion" car to go driving in but the RRS TDv6 that I now have is just so much more of a driving car - it is the first car that I have owned since a TVR that I have just gone out and driven for the sake of a drive.............. Even in the diesel it is an impressive drive - the air suspension is slightly firmer, but no way is it uncomfortable (it's a dammed fine compromise between sporting firmness and floating on air like it's big sister and puts BMW and Porsche to shame), it has enough room for a family (although I used to be able to sleep in the boot of the L322 without folding the rear seats, I cannot do it in the Sport but how often do you want to sleep in the car boot?) and even in diesel form it can't half shift!
There's really only one choice from your list! Remember this - there are thousands of BMW X5's, ML's and Lexus out there - I bet you won't find another RR or RR Sport in the same area as you live in..................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guest and Tim,

comments are greatly appreciated. well i currently drive a IS300 and that car hasn't changed since the first time it was out in 2001, but lexus just recently came out with the 2006 IS350 which is a new model. i think i am just in the point where i want an SUV because my IS300 doesn't move in the snow. as well, i want a SUV so that i can go camping if needed and there is enough room that when i get married and have a kid, it will be okay. i'm not too much into worrying about the models changing in 5 years, i am more worried about the car still being dependable after 5 years. i registered for consumer reports and saw that the Touareg V6 was 118% below the national average for mid-size SUVs. the GX was a little above that average. there was no data for the RRS or the new ML. i definitely agree that the RRS is pimp and i would probably be the only one in the my area to have one. i just don't want to make the wrong decision, because paying over 50k for a SUV a lot for me.

i guess i am just worried with all the stories that you hear about some SUVs not be reliable and so forth. Guest - your comments are straight on for each car.

anyone else have any ideas on the reliability and/or how the RRS is going to be as a good SUV, please comment. one question that i wonder about is, how good is the Land Rover mechanics? am i going to find more problems with the car after i take it in routinely or are they good enough that if i hear something, they will do their best to find the problem and fix it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
FYI, To solve your camping problems, I believe LR is also offereing a camping package like what the LR3 has. Something else to consider with your decision. Good Luck and I hope we can push you in the right way!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well when i mean camping, i should be more specific. i want a SUV where i can take it snowboarding and not worry about it getting stuck in the snow or anything like that. obviously this won't happen with the RRS. my only option for the RRS that i have chosen is the cold climate package for the heated seats. i am leaning more towards the RRS now, but still undecided if i had to choose today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts