RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of selling my BMW so I can finance a '06 HSE and I'm getting a list of 'mods/updates' that I wanna make.
As I've stated previously, I'm only 18 & can't afford $450-$500 monthly payments on my own so my father and I have decided we're gonna split the payments (but it'll be my vehicle).
So far, my list consists of:
  • Supercharged Grille
  • 2010+ Sidevents
  • Supercharged Taillights
  • LED Taglights
  • 22" Stormers
  • 2011/12 Navigation Disk
  • IIDTool
What my question is, i'm considering adding a Headlight Halo Kit to my 'wish list' (tastefully done, not tacky); I'm wanting the halo color to match the headlight color the best I can.
Which would you say the headlight color is, using the chart below?

Thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, sir. I was thinking 6K also (comparing them to my X5).

Currently my X5 payment are $250/mo & parents pay for my gas & insurance.
Now, its time to step into the real world; I'm gonna split the payment with my father of a '06 Rover, pay for my own gas, and possibly some contribution to insurance. So, kinda-sorta in the long run, I'll be saving my parents money.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
If you can't afford 450-500/month you can't afford a range rover... Even if someone gives it to you for free. Good luck with that though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can't afford 450-500/month you can't afford a range rover... Even if someone gives it to you for free. Good luck with that though.
And those are the comments I was waiting for. :roll:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Not sure why it was necessary to announce how you are purchasing the car, you would have avoided the comments if you just didn't mention it.

But since you mentioned it, I would agree, these cars are not the most reliable and when they do break they cost a good amount to fix. In my opinion you will be happier for longer if you take the $450-$500 a month and spend it on a new car or newer car.

Regarding your question on a 2010+ I would for sure say 6000k but on the model before that it might look closer to the 4300K

·
Registered
641 Posts
Range Rovers - fix one thing ... the next issue comes along. To be honest, its been the most unreliable car ive had.

That being said ... stock lights are 4300K to 5000K ( 5000K on more recent BMW / Mercs )

A good upgrade *looks wise* is 6000K. I fitted them in the main bulbs recently ( philips ones - not ebay ones ). They match my 6000K led sidelights very well and give a clean white look. However, there is noticebaly less output than 4300K - its a cooler colour and I've noticed it feels like there is slightly less light than before.

Any higher ( 8000 to 10000 ) is too blue - and the output noticably less as well.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
97 Posts
I see you like the supercharged look. I would recommend buying a supercharged model. It will save you the trouble of buying the lights and grill plus they have the 20s which look nice, wont immobilize you when/if you sink to bump stops and are still capable enough incase you have to hit some rough roads as opposed to the 22s. As for the lights I feel like they are 4300k I person but appear bluer in photos at times.
21y.o. btw glad to know I'm not the youngest around here. :)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Obviously since you included vital statistics like your age and lack of money that comment was coming. Just saying if you can't pony up 450-500/ month on a car payment you're going to be in real trouble when the dealer wants $200 to pull a fault code then $5000 to make a repair. You'll have a sweet immobile supercharged looking range rover broken down at your parents house.

In regard to your lighting query I run 8000k, IMO it looks the best.

·
Registered
97 Posts
^Do you have halos or just normal lights? Either way I'm curious to see what this looks like if you could post a pic.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I have the stock xenon lights, when the stock bulbs went I fit 8000k, they're white blue...

Not my car but basically what it looks like

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently fit 6000K bulbs on my rig, they work out great. Not too blue and similar to stock with a little extra.
And I agree with the comments, after putting around $8000 into my vehicle in the last three or so years (and i do much of the work myself) it's been hard to enjoy this vehicle. The list of gremlins and small problems never ends.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
99 Posts
A few points:
1. 4300 is probably closest to OEM HID.
2. Splitting a payment with your parents paying for my own gas, and possibly some contribution to insurance is NOT the real world.
3. You will never save your parents money (Not to be confused with: You will never save your parent's money that they give to you).
4. The $3000+ you want to spend on those mods will cover both portions of your payment for a year.

I suppose you are too young and inexperienced to know that you only offend people by making claims about the "real world" in such a way. The real world has mortages, student loans, vet bills, broken AC units etc. Most of the people on this site have done well enough for themselves to afford this these vehicles, new or not, and all these other things. Your non-chalant attitude about money will not earn you respect here or anywhere else.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A few points:
1. 4300 is probably closest to OEM HID.
2. Splitting a payment with your parents paying for my own gas, and possibly some contribution to insurance is NOT the real world.
3. You will never save your parents money (Not to be confused with: You will never save your parent's money that they give to you).
4. The $3000+ you want to spend on those mods will cover both portions of your payment for a year.

I suppose you are too young and inexperienced to know that you only offend people by making claims about the "real world" in such a way. The real world has mortages, student loans, vet bills, broken AC units etc. Most of the people on this site have done well enough for themselves to afford this these vehicles, new or not, and all these other things. Your non-chalant attitude about money will not earn you respect here or anywhere else.
I can't entirely disagree with your statements, but at the same time, none of us know enough to judge. If he is paying for any of it, then he must have a job, which is more than can be said about many 18yo. He may be in college, working, on a scholarship, heading towards a neurosurgery specialty, and following in in his parents' footsteps. Clearly they have done well, and who can blame them for wanting their child to enjoy some of the fruit while requiring a commitment of some of his work, especially if he is showing responsibility in other areas of life.

It is not the real world (outside of MTV version), so some slaps for perspective are in order. I hope Mr. B. Morris realizes that the few (and I may add reserved) comments are an opportunity for learning perspective on how others may view his own comments. He anticipated it. Of course, that is assuming he is closer to what I described and not a spoiled punk working at the mall and pathetically trying to impress his friends with his parents' money. If the latter, then all of the flaming will be deserved and pointless.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Morris has made a point in every topic he has started to let us know his age and financial status/sourcing. Personally I fell it is completely irrelevant and extremely tacky. Quite frankly I doubt anyone here really gives a rats fanny where another member gets their money from. If you like a certain car, buy it if you can. If you want a certain option, buy it if you can. The rest just sounds like a bad episode of Jersey Shores.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's because I haven't been into the real world yet. You gentleman act like I should have my own home, pay my entire car payment on my own, etc... Gentlemen, I'm 18 & live in my parents home. What's wrong with being a teenager & living in my parents house? If I was 30 and living with my parents, then you guys would have full right to act like I should be on my own.

I can't entirely disagree with your statements, but at the same time, none of us know enough to judge. If he is paying for any of it, then he must have a job, which is more than can be said about many 18yo. He may be in college, working, on a scholarship, heading towards a neurosurgery specialty, and following in in his parents' footsteps. Clearly they have done well, and who can blame them for wanting their child to enjoy some of the fruit while requiring a commitment of some of his work, especially if he is showing responsibility in other areas of life.

It is not the real world (outside of MTV version), so some slaps for perspective are in order. I hope Mr. B. Morris realizes that the few (and I may add reserved) comments are an opportunity for learning perspective on how others may view his own comments. He anticipated it. Of course, that is assuming he is closer to what I described and not a spoiled punk working at the mall and pathetically trying to impress his friends with his parents' money. If the latter, then all of the flaming will be deserved and pointless.
Thank you!
Every single one of my friends, except one, pays for ZERO of any of their items. I'm proud to say that I can afford half of $500 car payment, gas, etc. Yes, I live with my parents, I'm spoiled, I get everything handed to me on a silver platter (I'll be first to admit that); But I will also be the first to admit that I treat my parents with respect, I'm grateful for the life that I have, and I do what my parents expect of me.

I don't see whats wrong with working for a car that I have dreams about while paying for half of it. My first car was/will be worth more than what I buy a Rover for, and I paid for $0 of my first car. I was very grateful for it too, but I'm glad I'll finally be stepping out, maybe with just one foot, into the real world and finally paying for some things on my own. You gentlemen get so disgruntle when a young person owns a Range Rover (seen it many times on here) and I have yet to understand why. We (younger people) work (except for the heavily spoiled) for our items/toys, just like you older gentlemen do.

My intentions of purchasing a Range Rover is no way wanting to impress friends- It's a vehicle that I've wanted for years, and I won't be satisfied until I own one. I know a Range Rover isn't the best vehicle for somebody my age either, but nor was my first, second, or third car. I'm proud to say that I've drove the cars that I've driven, but I'll be even more proud to say that I pay for half of the vehicle I'll soon be driving (a Rover).

All I asked in this thread was what color are the headlights, and thank you for the ones whom have answered. I wasn't asking for inputs (obviously I knew they were coming) from you gentlemen on wether I deserve/should have an iconic Range Rover. I've quickly learned to not state anything about my personal information; Just the question at hand, and thats it.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Once again, all of it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual topic of lighting colour nor is it technical to the forum in any manner.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

That's because I haven't been into the real world yet. You gentleman act like I should have my own home, pay my entire car payment on my own, etc... Gentlemen, I'm 18 & live in my parents home. What's wrong with being a teenager & living in my parents house? If I was 30 and living with my parents, then you guys would have full right to act like I should be on my own.

Thank you!
Every single one of my friends, except one, pays for ZERO of any of their items. I'm proud to say that I can afford half of $500 car payment, gas, etc. Yes, I live with my parents, I'm spoiled, I get everything handed to me on a silver platter (I'll be first to admit that); But I will also be the first to admit that I treat my parents with respect, I'm grateful for the life that I have, and I do what my parents expect of me.

I don't see whats wrong with working for a car that I have dreams about while paying for half of it. My first car was/will be worth more than what I buy a Rover for, and I paid for $0 of my first car. I was very grateful for it too, but I'm glad I'll finally be stepping out, maybe with just one foot, into the real world and finally paying for some things on my own. You gentlemen get so disgruntle when a young person owns a Range Rover (seen it many times on here) and I have yet to understand why. We (younger people) work (except for the rich) for our items/toys, just like you older gentlemen do.

My intentions of purchasing a Range Rover is no way wanting to impress friends- It's a vehicle that I've wanted for years, and I won't be satisfied until I own one. I know a Range Rover isn't the best vehicle for somebody my age either, but nor was my first, second, or third car. I'm proud to say that I've drove the cars that I've driven, but I'll be even more proud to say that I pay for half of the vehicle I'll soon be driving (a Rover).

All I asked in this thread was what color are the headlights, and thank you for the ones whom have answered. I wasn't asking for inputs (obviously I knew they were coming) from you gentlemen on wether I deserve/should have an iconic Range Rover. I've quickly learned to not state anything about my personal information; Just the question at hand, and thats it.
I just want to clarify my posts and probably some of the others too. I was not saying you shouldn't get a range rover because you are too young or too spoiled, trust me, I was very spoiled at your age as well. English isn't my first language so I am not quite sure how to explain it. But you might be looking at the range rover with "big eyes" and not really seeing the big picture. A used 06 rover is going to have problems, I can almost guarantee that. I just think for the money you are going to be splitting with your parents you could get a car that will be more reliable and still make you just as happy when you look at it without having to pay so much to repair it. But then again you might just have to get the rover to understand what I am saying. I had a new 06 sport and then bought a new 11 full size. Even brand new these cars have their issues, seriously, I almost feel bad for the guy that bought my 06 sport.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just want to clarify my posts and probably some of the others too. I was not saying you shouldn't get a range rover because you are too young or too spoiled, trust me, I was very spoiled at your age as well. English isn't my first language so I am not quite sure how to explain it. But you might be looking at the range rover with "big eyes" and not really seeing the big picture. A used 06 rover is going to have problems, I can almost guarantee that. I just think for the money you are going to be splitting with your parents you could get a car that will be more reliable and still make you just as happy when you look at it without having to pay so much to repair it. But then again you might just have to get the rover to understand what I am saying. I had a new 06 sport and then bought a new 11 full size. Even brand new these cars have their issues, seriously, I almost feel bad for the guy that bought my 06 sport.
I fully understand what you're saying now.
And you are right, I probably am looking at the Range Rover with big eyes; And I do have to agree with your statement "Then again you might just have to get the rover to understand what I am saying," because who knows, I may be on here half a year from now, cursing at myself for not listening to you gentlemen.
I think the only way for me to learn is to own one for myself, go through the struggles you gentlemen have had with the vehicle, and learn to start listening.

Thank you for clarifying, djsaad1 :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts