RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing the fuel pump, filter, and relay in my ’93 LWB,I discovered that there was no power getting to the fuel pump. After checkingthe fuses and all circuits (inertia switch good, continuity from relay 87 postall the way to fuel pump-good), I discovered that the fuel pump relay itselfwas switching “off” after a few seconds being “on”. I removed the passengerseat so I could get a good look at it, and you can hear/feel it switch “on”when you turn the key on, but then it switches “off” after a few seconds.
I confirmed this with a circuit-tester; post 87 out of therelay sends power to the pump initially after key turns on, then relay clicks “off”along with power.
What can cause a relay to do this? I am beginning to suspectthe ECU, which I think has a ground wire linked to this same relay.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
its normal, upon key on the system primes then cuts off. when engine turns the distributor pulse makes for continuos activation of the injectors and fuel pump via the relay.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't know that, thanks! So after that, the engine won't start anyway. If I supply a remote 12V supply to the pump (harness from the relay disconnected), the engine starts and runs.

I have read that the engine ECU can fail in supplying proper function back to the relay; could the ECU be faulty?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts