RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well winter is coming and I think it's time to give the 96 HSE a new battery. Got the car in January when the snow came and it was a bit slow to turn over, but fine in the summer, so I guess it's on it's way out.

Has any one had a good experiance with any make or should I just get the cheepest I can find? Ta...

SID.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
320 Posts
After another flat battery I wanted to put in the biggest battery that would fit in the battery box. The ones with the poles in the correct location wouldn't fit and the ones that would fit couldn't be connected (battery cables too short.)

In the end I bought a battery for a diesel at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Agreed - Get the one made for the DSE. YGD100860, should be £106+VAT but ask for a 10% discount on them if it is in stock. You'll need to modify the holding bracket slightly, or get hold of one for a diesel version.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
A few years ago, when I needed a new battery, I did what I normally do: I researched the topic into the ground.

Everything pointed to the conclusion that certain Odyssey batteries were better than Optima red or yellow top batteries in pretty much ever measurable way. (except price).

So, I ended up spending about 250 USD on an Odyssey battery.

The placebo effect it created was really something ! what a great battery I had !

Then my alternator passed to the great beyond. And it took my Odyssey battery with it.

I replaced it with a 75 USD battery some months ago. Has there been any discernable difference ?

Nope. None. Zero. Oh - on 2nd thought, there is one difference. I now know that if something goes wrong that results in the death of this current battery, I won't shake my head when thinking back upon how stupid it was to spend what I did on the battery I now have.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I had an Optima Red Top when that was the battery to have. It failed in under 3 years. The Genuine Part one I replaced had lasted 5 years. 'Nuff said.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Odessy as well, 3 years old and I can still accidentally leave my lights on all day and start up. (that's another story...).

No issues starting last winter in -5F extended cold spell we had (out of the norm).

·
Registered
80 Posts
LR Knoxville replaced my battery with an Interstate. What is the stock battery? Or the original that came with the vehicle? I ran mine into the ground while waiting on a tow. The kids needed to be occupied...so they watched movies until it was drained. I had to hook up a jump pack to get it into Neutral.

Regards,

Charlie

·
Registered
640 Posts
Mike said:
I'm still a believer in Odyssey but I think Optima is over rated.
Odessy would be nice but are any where between £200.00 and £300.00 in the U.K.
Google 664 Battery that's the one for the Diesel.

Cheers

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you're not deep cycling then there's absolutely no need for a flash Optima/Orbital battery. All you're buying is marketing. Get something that's a decent brand and somewhere around 600CCA+ and you should be fine.

The battery in my P38 4.6 has the following dimensions: Length 304mm, height 173mm, width 225mm. Fits nicely and cost the equivalent of GBP$50.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I can recommend Elecsol batteries in the UK. I have a 100 amp hour fitted to my DSE.
The UK Caravan Club did an in depth survey of a wide range of batteries and they came out as the best buy. They have carbon fibre plates and come with a 5 year warranty. They are a bit more expensive than ordinary batteries but you can order them direct from their website and get them delivered to your door. An advantage is that as well as a high starting current they can also be deep cycled like a leisure battery without damage - so can be used with a winch. The height of the battery is a little shorter than standard and I had to fit a 3/4 in spacer under the battery clamp.

Dave

:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi All

Help me to decide; 100ah and 350 cca or 50ah and 900cca? Both are deep cycle batteries :think:

Thanks for any help

Go pack go

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Well, just to go against the grains for a change.... :lol:
I have had the Big Optima red top in the Rangey for @3yrs without an issue. There are two or three sizes of the red tops IIRC.
It has never let me down, and never needed a charge etc.
I run them in all my rigs, and over the past 8yrs have had 1 that went kind of bad on the Heep. It would start the rig, but slowly. I took it back to the parts store where I have an account and swapped it FOC. No issues since.
I have also heard of the problems Optima has been having, but until I fall victim of them myself, I will stick with them. I also get a nice discount on them, so that may be an influencing factor too :thumb:
IIRC, Interstate makes a commercial battery, and that would have been my second choice. I think there is a link to it on the main page.

Martin

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Blue58 said:
Hi All

Help me to decide; 100ah and 350 cca or 50ah and 900cca? Both are deep cycle batteries :think:

Thanks for any help

Go pack go
Get the biggest battery you can fit in the space. That's the rule of thumb with Range Rovers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would go with the Land rover Battery that the dealer sells. It had a AC Delco marine battery when I bought it, and it only lasted a year, the same with the next and the next (can't remember what brand), am now over 2 years on the Land rover battery. It wasn't even even more expensive than the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been using the Interstate light truck battery model 31P-MHD with 950 CCA for 35 months in my 2002 HSE, it fits right in the battery box and seems to work well. It cost $120 3 years ago, details here:

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-31P-MHD%28Commercial%29.aspx?dsNavigation=Ntk%7eSearchGroup%7c31p%252f-mhd%7c3%7c%2cNy%7eTrue%2cNtpc%7eDisabled%2cNs%7eproduct+Type%7c101%7c1%7c&Title=Light+Truck%2fVan+Mega-Tron+-+950+CCA

·
Registered
3 Posts
After watching Interstate batteries stack up in the corner of the garage because I left the car unused for a month, or left an interior light on, or it got cold outside, I bit the bullet and bought an Odyssey PC2150T. This is the best battery I've ever had in any car. It fits right into the '01 4.6 HSE bay with no issues. Since then the car starts first time, whether I leave it for 3 months, whatever the weather, whether I leave the headlights on all day. No issues. It instills confidence whereas with the Interstate I never knew if I'd be stuck. It's big and heavy, perhaps the largest battery that will fit in the bay. I have an Optima Yellow top in my Jeep which is a good battery, but not in the same league as the Odyssey. Other Optimas, like the red top, are a waste of time.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
For US owners able to get them, Sears' DieHard Platinum - and only Platinum - batteries are allegedly the same exact batteries as the Odysseys (both manufactured by Enersys) in a different color casing, but 30 to 40% cheaper at retail, and with a slightly better warranty. If there is a model of DieHard Platinum that matches the Odyssey, you might save some money by heading to Sears.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi all,

well, I have just replaced my battery. I put a Century 86ZMF in it this time. I can atest that Optima Yellow Tops will die from heat in a Range Rover P38 Bosch model. I had two of them die in two years.

Cheers
Mick

·
Registered
124 Posts
umbertob said:
For US owners able to get them, Sears' DieHard Platinum - and only Platinum - batteries are allegedly the same exact batteries as the Odysseys (both manufactured by Enersys) in a different color casing, but 30 to 40% cheaper at retail, and with a slightly better warranty. If there is a model of DieHard Platinum that matches the Odyssey, you might save some money by heading to Sears.

Never had a problem with mine. Plus, five year warranty helps. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850131000P

1 - 20 of 24 Posts