RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, while using Solution Finish on my FFRR, I accidentally got some on these white buttons/sensors(?) near the windshield wipers on the front. I tried to wipe the black off of them (originally white) but it just made it worse :?

What are these, exactly? Since I've basically made them dirty/gray now, do they need to be replaced?

IMG_2150.jpg

The good news is that Solution Finish is a brilliant product, made a lot of the plastic/rubber look brand new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah? Are they just connector clips? I'm just hoping they're not attached to some sort of sensor that I just screwed up by essentially painting black ~forehead palm~

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
219 Posts
Mine are a bit white/grayish too. Raining here now so no hurry for me to try and blacken them up. Maybe next sunny day after a wash. I will probably use some back to black

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
I use a product called Cover-All from O'Reillys.. basically tire shine sprayed onto a rag. Blackens all of the plastics for around a month.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
A month? Screw something that high in maintenance. :mrgreen: Go pick up a clear liquid made by Turtle Wax.. it's called "Ice". Do not use it on your painted surfaces. It is lousy car wax. It does however turn vinyls, rubber and plastics absolutely deep in colour.... may take two coats on the initial application if your plastics etc are oxydized. More importantly it seals. It has UV protection and repels water. It is good for three or four months depending how muddy you get, local pollutants, and how often you go through a "brushless" car wash and the harsh chemicals they use.

A side note... it is killer product for sealing and preserving convertible canvas roofs. Takes 3 or 4 coats and easily lasts close to a year for water repelling, color fastness and easy clean up of road grime and birdy bombs. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Where I get a lot of my parts online - landrovermerriamparts.com has them for $1.66 a piece. Of course local dealerships are most likely a little more. Or just shipped with some other part you need/buy from them.
It may be easier just to spend $5 (for 3) + a little shipping and pop out the old ones, and pop in new ones; than to polish old oxidized ones.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Ebay has them for $9.39 for a set of 5, and Amazon has sets of 4 for $17.
Both include shipping.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A month? Screw something that high in maintenance. :mrgreen: Go pick up a clear liquid made by Turtle Wax.. it's called "Ice". Do not use it on your painted surfaces. It is lousy car wax. It does however turn vinyls, rubber and plastics absolutely deep in colour.... may take two coats on the initial application if your plastics etc are oxydized. More importantly it seals. It has UV protection and repels water. It is good for three or four months depending how muddy you get, local pollutants, and how often you go through a "brushless" car wash and the harsh chemicals they use.

A side note... it is killer product for sealing and preserving convertible canvas roofs. Takes 3 or 4 coats and easily lasts close to a year for water repelling, color fastness and easy clean up of road grime and birdy bombs. :thumb:
I hadn't heard of Ice! I ended up going with Solution Finish and it's seemed to do a fantastic job! (time will tell of course) but as of now, all my plastic & rubber trim look deep black and got rid of a lot of the gray. Took the time to painter's tape everything off and I'm SO glad I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts