RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ask this question because i have an intermittent high pitched metal to metal scraping sound which only last for a handful of seconds anywhere from (5-20) and only at speeds under 15-20 mph upon initial startup or after starting from a standing stop. no sound is heard as the car picks up speed.

thinking this was a classic wheel bearing with drying greasing between one or two bearings i pulled all 4 wheel hubs and checked each hub for proper rotation. i know how these hubs ought to feel as they turn as i have handled enough hubs/wheel bearings on different cars over the years.

only one of the hubs had what can be described as the start of a lumpiness as it rotated. the rest were smooth with proper feeling grease to bearing as it rotated.

the questionable one although likely still quite sound for sometime i pressed out and replaced the bearing and reassembled.

the high pitched sound still exists and i am stumped.

my front differential i drained showing clean non metallic fluid and replaced with fresh gear oil.

any ideas are welcome

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I would suspect UJoints long before a CV joint. WHen was the last time you inspected and greased them?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good question, i can't recall EVER checking them or greasing them.

my experience has always heard them clunk so this noise is out of my reference visa vie u joints.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Well there you are. They should be greased every oil change. NAPA, Precision 344... come with larger nipples for easier handling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts