RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well amongst a host of other jobs it's time to replace the universal joints on the propshafts. I am sure I vaguely remember reading a post some time back about the different makes of UJ and which ones are good and some not so good, but after some considerable searching I can't find anything. :?

So can anyone give me a heads up to what make is best to fit - genuine or a particular after market, I would be grateful.

Thanks

·
Registered
922 Posts
I got a set sent over from http://www.britishparts.co.uk/ Frankly I can't tell the difference visually from the genuine part...but they were MUCH cheaper than offerings from the local dealer (like 1/5th the price including delivered from the UK! ). They fitted very well and so far so good!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agreed, the metal capped Hardy Spicers are probably the way to go, and (are) the same as Gen LR, based on buying 3 from one souce and one from the dealer, when I changed last changed them out.
The Rovahfarm web site has them lined up side by side with other "levels" of U-joints for comparison
http://www.rovahfarm.com/rangepropshaft.htm

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
I'm not sure what brands you have on your side of the pond, but I have Precision 344s in my rig. They come with longer zirk fittings for easier service and are quite beafy in construction. Two of the indepentdants in the area use them and swear they are just as good as the pricey LR replacements.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hmmm with a 7,000km trip to the other side of the black stump planned for next May, I should probably revisit my recent UJ import / purchase from Brit Parts... I even got a couple of spares just in case... :roll: ...but at relatively few $ each... could harly go past them... perhaps

They are identical to the GKN ones...even in repect of the "Zerk" fittings, metal caps and size (to within 0.01 mm)!
Interesting re. Zerk fittings... from wikipedia... well it's in print on the internet so it MUST be true :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, in many modern applications they (Ed: Zerk Fittings) are falling out of use, since it has been determined by wear analysis that each new grease injection usually contains abrasive contamination, and thus service life is reduced compared to many "sealed for life" systems.

The wikipedia then goes on to say that in marine/industrial apps, the (Zerk) fittings are used because the new injection of grease expels moisture... :!: :?: :shock: contamination is not regarded as a problem ?

Yes/No?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for answers - I think I will be sticking to the GKN/Hardy Spicer ones.

Cheers Col for link to those on ebay - I think that my be my source. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts