RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
46 Posts
Just as an update on my experience. I bought the CN900 and cloned a bunch of chips for my keys, make sure you get the cn3 chips. I then put it back on ebay and sold it for $20 less than what I paid for it. Now have a stash of chips for my keys. One thing I have noticed is that the cheap key fobs tend to eat batteries. I just found one on ebay with a induction style rechargeable coin battery that matches the footprint of the keys with regular CR2032 batteries. Will report back if I get it working with my 2006. As I understand it 433mhz is European usual frequency for RF controllers and 315mhz US. My research shows that the immobilizer system on the car uses 125mhz to talk to the chip inside the fob and the fob uses 433 or 315mhz to talk the door locks etc. Have attached some pics to show the inside of the fob with the chip in it's little cubby. Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 2.04.33 PM.png
Ebay Link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Remote-key-Fob-315MHz-for-Land-Rover-LR3-Range-Rover-Sport-2005-2009/293156131138?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Attachments

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
174 Posts
thanks guys - so my question is this I don't have the chip sepate to the board in with my Bmw or my ff they are sobered on by the looks of it so how do these chips fit?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just as an update on my experience. I bought the CN900 and cloned a bunch of chips for my keys, make sure you get the cn3 chips. I then put it back on ebay and sold it for $20 less than what I paid for it. Now have a stash of chips for my keys. One thing I have noticed is that the cheap key fobs tend to eat batteries. I just found one on ebay with a induction style rechargeable coin battery that matches the footprint of the keys with regular CR2032 batteries. Will report back if I get it working with my 2006. As I understand it 433mhz is European usual frequency for RF controllers and 315mhz US. My research shows that the immobilizer system on the car uses 125mhz to talk to the chip inside the fob and the fob uses 433 or 315mhz to talk the door locks etc. Have attached some pics to show the inside of the fob with the chip in it's little cubby. View attachment 282698
Ebay Link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Remote-key-Fob-315MHz-for-Land-Rover-LR3-Range-Rover-Sport-2005-2009/293156131138?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
By the way could not get the key fob with the rechargeable battery to be recognized by the Rover. Maybe mine was a dud but no go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I received my CN900 mini and have cloned one key chip so far for a 2009 car. Two more cars to do in the next couple of days. Worked exactly as described.

Interestingly the supplier said they are hoping for a software upgrade sometime that will allow it to clone 44 chips as used in the early BMW version L322's. That will make it a very valuable tool to have.

Thanks once again to Mark_C for the find.
Hi Ghur - Would you mind sharing the link where you bought your CN900 and the type of chip you bought? I have a 2008 full size hse which I think is similar to your rig.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
790 Posts
Hi Ghur - Would you mind sharing the link where you bought your CN900 and the type of chip you bought? I have a 2008 full size hse which I think is similar to your rig.
I bought mine in China on their local eBay equivalent site which wont help you much unfortunately. The majority of the shops don't ship internationally. But here are the links anyway. The chip is the CN3.

Reactions: mylife1903

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
They sell them on Ebay as well, between 140 and 175 or so, heres one, there are plenty of others. They are good for copying RR immobilizer chips only, you can't program one from scratch

Get CN3 46 type cloning chips, the normal chips don't work in it, the internal antennas or the regular chips are two small for the CN900's power and they don't program properly.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Theres a little space for them inside the key FOB body next to the blade, they just sit in there, or you can put a dab of silicone adhesive on them. They don't have anything to do with the circuit board, thats just for locking and unlocking the doors.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yep, and half the time when people replace their battery in the FOB they fall out and get lost when its not noticed and all of a sudden the key won't start the truck anymore and people are pissed at having to spend about $400 to get a new key from LR. Screwdriver tip points to the chip in the old style (up to 06) keyfob below.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
174 Posts
Ahh ok I get that on that shape key but I couldn’t see it on my 2007 is that the same as it’s the flip key?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yes, I ust just don't have a picture of the guts of a flip key, even though I have one. Its the same idea as this style of key, the circuit board is a little more rectangular and the space for the chip is a little looser than this one. Mines glued in now (I did it), and I have 3 spare keys 2 with a chip, one for just unlocking the door, and another 4 spare chips for my truck in a bag. Hopefully I won't get locked out, or unable to start the thing, unless the steering column ECU dies.

·
Registered
2006 HSE full size 4.4
25 Posts
I found a key programmer that will let you copy an existing key. Its a CN900 Mini and costs about $180 on Ebay and elsewhere. You can not program a new key from scratch, but can burn as many copes of the immobilizer chip as you want. It works on my 06 Full Size RR. I went from one functioning key with two keys just cut for the doors to 3 fully functional keys all of which will unlock the column and start the car. You must use CN3 Cloning chips which cost about $5 each and you obviously must have at least 1 key that works. Takes about 5 minutes to read and decode the original key. If you have personal settings for use with different keys it probably won't work with the various copies, as they are all essentially the same key.
Where did you buy the blank uncut key and did it include a battery and circuit board? Trying to find out which website to order groom and what type, would love a link if someone has it. Trying to find one that would fit a cn3 cloning chip in it, still unsure how it works as I thought the transponder / immobilizer was a tiny cylinder shape but these cloning chips replace it for the new key?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I used this one, or one very similar to it.

You can't use the chip that comes with it its a type 44, you can just move yours over, or get someone to copy your chip and have a spare. The glass cylindrical chips are called cloner chips. The stock ones look just like the one in the picture above (that is my original key and chip). The CN3 type 46 chips look exactly like that. The BMW versions 02-05 use the type 44 chips, the 06 to 09 (and maybe later) use the type 46 chips. You can also get them off of ebay for about 3-5 bucks a peice. Search CN3 Chip if you need a new one, otherwise just move your existing one over to the new FOB. You will have to resync the door lock, unlock part of the FOB to the truck, and if you have multiple keys they all have to be sync'ed at the same time. The first one you sync is key 1 the second is key 2, etc. That's for personization options (radio channels, steering wheel, position, door locking or unlocking at speed, etc.)

·
Registered
2006 HSE full size 4.4
25 Posts
Cool thanks. I kept trying to look for 433 MHz but seems like what your saying is this key with 315 MHz will work? I know the chip to start the car doesn’t care about MHz but will the 315mhz be enough to unlock / lock the car?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
North american vehicles used 315 Mhz until 2012 or so when they switched over to 433Mhz. 433Mhz is for the rest of the world vehicles from the beginning of the L322 line .

·
Registered
2009 L322 SC
22 Posts
There is a lot of information about cloning and programming keys etc. The 2007-2009 keys seem to be quite different than the other model years, and because nobody seems to have the complete picture of the differences across the L322 line by model year, it is difficult to know what to believe. I contacted a local locksmith who told me they couldn't cut/program a new key for me (I have one working one, but need a spare). The cloning procedure requires that you basically reset the whole system and reprogram all the keys/car at once. All this uncertaintity, plus the fact that the closest LR dealer to me is 100 miles away so if I screw up the one key I have I'd have to have the car towed to the dealer, and the cost of the programming tools, chip, plus the fobs, plus the blade and having it cut was more risk that I was willing to take for a difference in price of...really not that much. I just called the dealer and ordered a new key for $265, plus the $150 labor for programming it. It's probably more expensive, but at least it will be done correctly. And I get the bonus of the 200 mile round trip in my Range Rover (and will likely have the alignment checked while I'm there as well.)

·
Registered
2006 HSE full size 4.4
25 Posts
Yeah from my research essentially my options are to go to the dealer and pay a lot or buy a cn900 mini and the proper cn3 chips and I’m good to go. For now I simply ordered a key from eBay and I’m going to swap the transponder to it as it comes with the battery and internals to unlock/lock the car and I’ll get a locksmith to cut the blank key. At least this way ill have a spare key but if I don’t copy my transponder soon I’ll be paying up the butt to a dealer to get me a transponder for my car

21 - 40 of 51 Posts