RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
SWEET! I wonder how it holds up with camping gear sliding across it? It's be a great mate to the tray tables.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing the finish after six months of the dogs climbing in and out. :lol:

·
Registered
494 Posts
the cage sucks but the panel is awesome! it's utterly impractical. and that draws me to it! it's one of those little touches that would be so amusing to whip out while tailgating. "'scuse me gang...just have to set the food and liquour out on this highly polished senseless aesthetic tailgate i happen to be proud of." :lol:

i'll tell you what, if made from the right synthetic material it could hold up decently well. even real wood could. anyone who's ever worked with wood knows about the spectrum of self-leveling bowling-alley-grade wood coverings available. the cleaning angle of it appeals to me. actually, why isn't that metal?. we all know how easy it is to remove that panel in stock form. i haven't done it sober yet. you could do disposables for crying out loud. it would take ten seconds to swap them.

i may get one that says "metallica" or has the "appetite for destruction" album cover. collect the whole set! :dance:

·
Registered
401 Posts
"'scuse me gang...just have to set the food and liquour out on this highly polished senseless aesthetic tailgate i happen to be proud of."
AHAHA :lol:

Beautiful tailgate! looks like mirror coat over veneer or some kind of laminate ... mirror coat being one of the best finishes ever invented :) you'll see 8)

http://www.systemthree.com/p_mirror_coat.asp

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Idea 1.- The dogs would slide right off when jumping up...especially when wet.

followed by

Idea 2.- The pen has a fold down entrance which covers up the wood tailgate...saving it from the hounds.

·
Registered
401 Posts
idea 1, thats a sick joke by the owner if true. hilariously sick. :lol:
idea 2, hinge on the right.
It is probably more durable and scratched up than it looks from the pictures. Probably had it redone because the carpet on there before got trashed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My Wife works at a hoity-toity Private Country Club where there is a 10 lane bowling alley in it and she says they are constantly having to re-oil and repair and refinish the surface at least once a week depending on use. That's why they make you wear those disgusting rental bowling shoes which apparently have more germs than a dogs rectum, (which coincidentally was the topic on Gary Unmarried tonight) and why they scream at you when you try to walk on the lanes. It only takes a grain of sand to scratch the surface, I've been building furniture since I retired and even the hardest finishes you can find are still scratch-able. It's fine if you use a coaster and don't let your dogs walk on your tables. :lol: I'll stick to carpeting for now thanks. I could see using a portable rubber mat for the mutts and like Ed said the door does hinge on the right. I agree with dutch that the cage sucks but the wood finish looks awesome, just not in conjunction with the dogs. IMO.

·
Registered
701 Posts
IDC if the wood will get scratched. I WANT IT! Thats simply awesome! :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, seeing as there is some intrest in the type of wood used, I will try to contact the seller as he is in the UK.

Sid.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SID said:
Ok, seeing as there is some intrest in the type of wood used, I will try to contact the seller as he is in the UK.

Sid.
Right, this is the answer from the seller....

"I can make you one if you would like it, it is Burr Walnut panelling."

So if you would like that look too, you can :thumb:

Sid.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a genuine parts plastic panel that does exactly the same and protects the carpet from the dog; between that and the moulded liner the bot carpet is perfect still.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got this email:

I think around £40 each if my memory serves for the mateials and labour. Shipping should not be a problem. They are based on an MRMDF core faced and balanced. It gives a gloss finish panel which is easier to keep clean and dry especially if you have dogs jumping in and out.

Just let me know how many you need and I will make them for you should be about a week turnaround time to make. These can be made in any colour you wish it does not have to be walnut the colour can match the car.

Regards

Bob

So if anyone wants one contact Bob via his ebay listing. :thumb:

Sid.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
If he could make one to match the Rhino wood I'd actually consider it. It IS pretty badass.

·
Registered
494 Posts
but what about black with the "appetite for destruction" logo?! actually black metal with "x"tread pattern would really be the ticket. although it now occurs to me you could use metal and spray bedliner onto it and then reinstall when dry. you'd get the grippy traction, ability to touch it up, and you could give it some decent abuse without damaging it badly. naturally the "appetite" album logo would need to be incorporated. :think:

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
I was reminded this morning of a "fishermans" tailgate treatment presented on a run this summer. In place of the carpet panel a club member had cut a piece of white cutting board material and fit it. He cit a small channel so the upper tailgate plastick would slide into the top. This allowed him to simply drop his tailgate to clean his fish, birds etc and quickly wipe it clean. With the overlap created by notch in the top there was no place to hold bits.It was very functional and creative.

·
Registered
401 Posts
kmagnuss said:
If he could make one to match the Rhino wood I'd actually consider it. It IS pretty badass.
second that, I would want a marine grade plywood though, just for that extra water proofness. MRMDF is just resistant.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
dutchfrompredator said:
i'll tell you what,

I thought I was the only person who says that besides Hank Hill :D
i never noticed that. now i can't think of anyone else who says it. besides you and hill that is. :dance:

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Everybody in Florida says it. You guys are rednecks and didn't even know it. *cue in Deliverance banjo*

1 - 20 of 29 Posts