RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we have just completed an 17,247 kilometer lap of the Australian perimeter in the venerable 85.
Started and finished in central Vic, and went anti clockwise.
Had flawless performance for the entire trip with the only work done being the replacement of the rear shocks.
They were pretty knackered and the Savannah way in NT finished them off. Got new ones in Darwin.
Only other service was an oil change in Darwin. Started off with a niggling rear main leak, and got back with the same leak! (Dang!)
TDI300 ran like a Swiss watch and netted an average of 9km/liter. That combined with 2 long range side tanks let us fuel where it was cheap and speed past the high priced fuel in the bush.
We tried to do most of the trip on unsealed roads, and probably achieved 1/3 of the trip on dirt. Glad to have the nice ride as some bits of the tracks were very washed out by recent cyclone up north. The rest were just plain Corrugated, potholed and dusty. I would not hesitate to get in and go another loop with only another oil change. 100% reliable! :shock: (No, I am not kidding)
Cheers!
Tom

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, and what a nice adventure.

I only get 10 miles per litre of diesel out of a family Volkswagen 2.0ltr Tdi over here, as long as it doesn't go over 80mph so that's pretty impressive for your RR.

My RR 3.9 petrol will just about get 330 miles to a whole tank, full to vapours, so I look with envy at your range.

As you say, great vehicles though. Our longest trip is about 2000miles it two weeks down to the French alps, running around and back again for ski trips.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's awesome!!! How long was the trip? And where are the pics?!?
We did the trip in 8 weeks without feeling rushed, however, it should be done in 3 months, with visits to some of the national Parks.
As we had our 2 dogs with us, that was out of the question, since, for some reason, they are not allowed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts