RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I’ve had lots of classics currently got two p38s and a disco 2 winter beaters looking to get a l322 in the spring or earlier if a good deal pops up I know to avoid the 03 - 05 years we had a 03 briefly that was the most unreliable landy we’ve owned if that’s possible beautiful ride though so going for round 2 I’m looking at 08’s at the moment any advice??

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Simple answer would be a 2007-2009. No major issues till 200k, and even then it’s rare to have engine issues (timing chain). Invest in a lower mileage truck, have the transmission serviced, and you should be set. People would argue that any range Rover L322 can be reliable with proper maintenance, but the 2007 to 2009 model years seem to be the strongest without a lot of extra work.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What major issues or preventive maintenance will be required before 200 miles ? Most of the ones I see have around 180 km on them to 200 km

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Remember that there are three generations of L322s. So maintenance depends on which year and which engine. Maintenance schedules are readily available on TOPIx for which ever one you need to check.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I wasn’t aware of that I just thought it was same as classic just improvement as they went along so I’m looking at second Gen? I’m not familiar with topix I will look that up thx

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Note that I was also quoting miles, not kilometres.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
I have a 54 plate L322 which has the advantage of being the first year with Touchscreen (MOST) satnav/ coms, but still attracts pre-2005 tax disc prices ....

At 140k miles the following is a snippet of the pain (sorry love) that has been lavished:

1. Front airbag suspension [rubber perished) (I did both front struts rather than just the bags)
  2. new air suspension compressor by previous owner (and I did a compressor repair kit (o-ring/ filter kit) when it stopped working 2nd time for me)
  3. new battery (previous owner)
  4. Pretty much whole new set coolant hoses ... + water pump {lots coolant until final lowerhose with built in sensor was replaced- coolant was leaking out of the sensor}
  5. replaced analogue TV tuner with digital version (optional)
  6. replaced/ rebuilt fog light wiring (connectors and bulb sockets as sockets rusted so that voltage levelsdropped and dashboard warnings errored Fog lights (very rusty/ water damaged - really unprotected limited lifespan BMW parts used here)
  7. Coolant Expansion Tank (well it exploded/ split at the middle seam) cheap part though
  8. Air Conditioning Heater Control Resistor Switch (air con/ battery issue- or was it the alternator all along - probably was)
  9. Re-manufactured alternator (solenoid was draining battery when lights+ tows were on at idle - i had a negative battery drain) (- previous owners battery was fine))
  10. steering wheel sensor (this was cutting out ECU coms)
  11. parking sensors

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the alternator a common fault ? I understand coolant hoses need to be changed every 10 years as well as the air suspension bags was the trim quality improved on the 07 to 09 models I remember all the paint flaking off the trim on our old 03 some of the bmw quality control left a lot to be desired I think my 98s better screwed together than my 03 was

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
75 Posts
My 07 interior is in like new condition no flaking or wear on any of the surfaces 119k miles on it. I keep is detailed and clean!

·
Registered
687 Posts
besides the obvious condition and mileage/maintenance, i think a 2009(last of the 4.4/4.2 jag version) or a 2012 final year for the l322 would be the best options.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thanks I’m going to keep a look out for a 09 looks the USA got more options than we had here up north it’s really hard to find a green one

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
Depends on what your using it for.....?

06 HSE - the suspension is the best of all the L322 MY's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts