Range Rovers Forum banner

Wham bam all at once

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  AMcK 
#1 ·
Well in a matter of 2 weeks I've been plagued with almost all known P38 issues (knock on wood -- sans slipped liners) on my 2001 HSE 76K...

- Bad fresh air/recirc motor
- Leaking valve cover
- Leaking radiator
- Leaking A/C condenser
- Bad rear air shocks
- Bad shocks all around
- Possible leaking valve block
- Rusted out center & rear exhausts
- Leaking heater o-rings

I'm doing the a/c condenser, radiator and o-rings this week (**** hot here in N.M.), but I'm torn with keeping the EAS considering everything else I have to do. Before all hell hit I was thinking on Gen III air springs. Now not so sure. The deeper I dig in the EAS the more issues I find. Would putting in Gen III's in the rear (for the moment) be a dumb idea (does anyone know if these come with the air spring bellows)? Maybe just OE rear air springs? Have to pick and choose my battles here considering everything else I need to do. Removing EAS and going springs is an option as well. Oh geez. At least I have the tools and a new floor jack.

See less See more
#3 ·
You would not regret the gen 3's. I put those on the rear an a cheap listing on ebay for front, ie originaql type. As soon as front end was jacked for rust proofing the air bag released, Fortunately it sealed and filled when set down. Seems like they are way to short. But they do work and cost $70 before shipping Just an option. Rebuild kits available for valve block! Good luck on the repairs.

#4 ·
Yes, you can put GenIII on the rear, and the spring is a complete assembly. Just different terminology. The rubber part is the bellows, which is part of the GenIII airspring assembly. you can get just the bellows separately, stock style for $100 each-you will re-use the top cap and lower piston of the existing spring assembly.

your valve-block can be rebuilt with $25 worth of orings, and the compressor can be rebuilt (that's coming too..) with a new teflon seal. You can get a complete overhaul kit, which will renew the entire air suspension system, for LESS than most coil kits. Labor will be about the same for either.

#5 ·
shupack said:
Yes, you can put GenIII on the rear, and the spring is a complete assembly. Just different terminology. The rubber part is the bellows, which is part of the GenIII airspring assembly. you can get just the bellows separately, stock style for $100 each-you will re-use the top cap and lower piston of the existing spring assembly.

your valve-block can be rebuilt with $25 worth of orings, and the compressor can be rebuilt (that's coming too..) with a new teflon seal. You can get a complete overhaul kit, which will renew the entire air suspension system, for LESS than most coil kits. Labor will be about the same for either.
Yeah I do want to keep the EAS in tact if at all possible. I am experiencing some things as well with the suspension that I'm not familiar with (my first Rover)...

The shocks and damper appear to be OE and could be the cause of some issues but I do notice the rover feels a bit ship-like over certain bumps. That is it rolls left to right over bumps as if the springs are quite weak like a ship in the water. As well (again it could be the weak suspension and 18" wheels) it hops at bit to either the left or right over bumps. I'm thinking either bushing and/or ball joints.

#7 ·
RoverABQ said:
Well in a matter of 2 weeks I've been plagued with almost all known P38 issues (knock on wood -- sans slipped liners) on my 2001 HSE 76K...

- Bad fresh air/recirc motor
- Leaking valve cover
- Leaking radiator
- Leaking A/C condenser
- Bad rear air shocks
- Bad shocks all around
- Possible leaking valve block
- Rusted out center & rear exhausts
- Leaking heater o-rings

I'm doing the a/c condenser, radiator and o-rings this week (**** hot here in N.M.), but I'm torn with keeping the EAS considering everything else I have to do. Before all hell hit I was thinking on Gen III air springs. Now not so sure. The deeper I dig in the EAS the more issues I find. Would putting in Gen III's in the rear (for the moment) be a dumb idea (does anyone know if these come with the air spring bellows)? Maybe just OE rear air springs? Have to pick and choose my battles here considering everything else I need to do. Removing EAS and going springs is an option as well. Oh geez. At least I have the tools and a new floor jack.
My list is pretty close

leaking transmission cooler (and no one has any stock in UK - not even Land Rover)
new shocks all round - done 2 days ago
rear section of exhaust fell off 4 days ago and I have to pass MOT in 5 days
window on passenger side jamming when raising
leaking vally gasket
new drag link fitted 2 days age
rocker cover leaking on to exhaust manifold
driveline vibration ? props or diffs
front radius arm bushes worn
EAS valve block leaking

good luck with yours `)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.