Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple days ago my car got down poured on. After getting in the car, I realized there was a small amount of water dripping from the center dome light. This has happened before and I wasn't too worried. After getting home, I found out that the entire ceiling over the passenger seat, the passenger seat itself, and the carpets on the entire passenger side of the car were soaked. I vacuumed as much as I could and got everything dry for the most part. The next day, the car wouldn't start. The dash is showing all different kinds of faults and the suspension is lowered. I got it to start once but noticed there is no power steering, too.

I couldn't see any water damage to any of the fuses behind the glove box. I also took out the battery and looked behind there, everything seemed to be dry. The A pillar wasn't wet either, so I'm not really sure how the water got from the ceiling to the floor. Im guessing it dripped off one of the corners of the sunroof directly down onto the passenger seat. I think the culprit is a clogged sunroof drain, but that seams like the last thing I should be worried about right now.

Anyone have any ideas of what the problem is here? I'm sure its just one component that got wet and is throwing off the car, right? /:(

(The car is a 2006 sport)

·
Registered
3 Posts
This one i know, the sunroof drains are clogged and the wiring in both sides are soaked meaning corrosion on wires that the engineer thougth would be smart to weld together in the bottom of the car, you got one hell of a cleanup job to do, removing all carpets, a lot of plastic and then go thru all wires that are split in the car floor. :-O

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cause was indeed a clogged sunroof drain. I took out the passenger seat and vacuumed everything I could out from under the carpets. I did my best to try and find the source, but eventually gave up and had it towed to the dealership. They replaced an ignition wire and that solved the problem. Car has been running trouble free since.

Surprisingly, it didn't look like any water got behind the glove box where all the fuses are located. Im sure if all of that got wet, things would have been way worse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, you think they could have come up with a better idea for where to run the wires. I've always wrap my floor mats in a towel to help soak up any water that could get into the car, knowing how many wires run below. Unfortunately, they did not suffice to soak up the gallons of water that came in through the sunroof! /:(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I actually had the dealership clean them out for me. I now will check them routinely to make sure this never happens again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts