Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The floor under the driver side front and rear carpets gets flooded with water whenever it rains.
The headliner isn't stained so I believe it might be a sunroof drain issue coming out of the car; not sure if it's the front or rear.
I tried to trace the drain tubes from the A & D pillars but I still can't find where the drain exists the vehicle.
Does anyone know where the locations of the drain outputs are?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

· Registered
98 Posts
Ihave a 2017 Discovery that experienced a similar issue. The headlining didn’t get super wet but water came streaming out of the grab handle in the rear seat. After two tries, they traced it to a drain/gutter line that want connected properly. Not a lot of rain here in SoCal but haven’t had an issue again. Hope this helps.

· Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography V8 Supercharged
19 Posts
Do you have any news on what was the problem? And how did you fix it? How did you get to the drain tubes?
Thanks
Zombie thread but no one helped. I found my issue. The drain nipples on each side of the sunroof just behind the B pillars corroded and crumbled. The debris clogged the drain lines and both lines had broken free. Ruining the headliner over a period of time. I only found these because I replaced the headliner. I cleared the lines carefully, used a silicone sealant around the remaining bit of the drain nipple and used a hose clamp very lightly clamping over the silicone and nubs. Why that connector is made of steel instead of aluminum is mind blowing. Our sport autobiography has no rust anywhere except those apparently.

· Registered
30 Posts
I also seem to have developed a leak somewhere no water on the floor but if I turn sharply with windows down after rain or a car wash dirty water gushes out of the window seal. So you had to pull the headliner in order to diagnose and fix this? Any instructions out there on how to do that without breaking anything? Thanks!

· Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
220 Posts
As it turns out the l494 only has two drains, one on each side behind the b pillar. Passenger side was clogged, blew it out with compressed air and all is good. Did the same on the driver's side. Let's see if that solves the problem.

· Registered
113 Posts
Hi guys I’ve got the same issue I’m trying to locate the drain from the sunroof area - I’ve taken off the exterior plastic trim along the side of the sunroof but still can’t find where the drain holes are?
you can see where the water is pooling at the rear of the sunroof casing - I just can’t see any holes to check and clear

Attachments

· Registered
113 Posts
Found it thanks dude unfortunately the hoses have corroded off :( I’m looking at making up some make shift connectors that can fit the hole in the sunroof cassette as you can purchase the drain tubes from JLR - I was then looking at getting a smaller pipe to poke through to the sunroof and seal around it - otherwise I’ve heard the only way to sort it is to fully replace the sunroof cassette which is about a £5000 job! For a small piece of rubber piper connector!

· Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE L494 V6
4 Posts
New here but for future FYI, if you want to find where the lines drain are, (assuming your lines are still attached) just take a water bottle and just pour a small amount into the tray. The water will trickle out and show you the exit. Also on most cars(not specifically LR's) I just take some compressed air and give each side a quick shot; this is usually enought to clear out the drain holes. Still new to these cars so I have a lot to learn about them, so it is interesting to read that the fittings have rusted off the ends of the tray? Thats a big disappointment, but sound like you have a solution if you can find a smaller fitting to install through the rusted hole, I can see where that would work just fine. I am so glad mine has the panaramic roof but thank goodness no sunroof to open. Good luck!

· Registered
113 Posts
Thanks man - yeh I would definitely check them it’s a 2 minute job to do and the water should come out somewhere near the rear wheel lining.
Ive got the fittings arriving today so I’ll stick some photos up of how I get on :)

· Registered
113 Posts
So I've managed to create a temp new rubber drain bung in the sunroof cassette hole which is inserted into some clear tubing which Ive then fed into the original drain tube and pushed it through the middle around 8cm into the original drain pipe so it shouldn't back fill - next job tomorrow is to seal around the bung so its water tight then leave it to dry to do a water test.
I used this kit from amazon
and these bungs
Food Font Circle Cuisine Table

So for hopefully £10/$12 I have solved a $50,000 repair!

I can't believe JLR would add the metal nipple to the sun roof cassette - why not just leave a hole then seal it with a grommet into a tube like I have tried.

· Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE L494 V6
4 Posts
Its seems even more unbelievable that they would use metal in an area that they know is going to have water in it all the time, instead of plastic like almost every other manufacturer. It doesn't seem like a high stress area to require metal, but I'm not an engineer, either.

· Registered
219 Posts
This stresses me out. Going to be the achilles heel of the L405/L494...

Saw two of these with this issue at the local shop here in Oregon in November (and we don't really have much usage of corrosive road salt or an ocean here ... so I don't believe it's strictly the result of salt corrosion, which is what folks on the L405 board were saying a few years ago as they were trying to minimize the problem, which I do believe is quite significant and more widespread as these RR's get older).

I wonder if the sunroof pans on the new L663 Defender are the same material? Hopefully not.

Reactions: karlp606

· Registered
113 Posts
This stresses me out. Going to be the achilles heel of the L405/L494...

Saw two of these with this issue at the local shop here in Oregon in November (and we don't really have much usage of corrosive road salt or an ocean here ... so I don't believe it's strictly the result of salt corrosion, which is what folks on the L405 board were saying a few years ago as they were trying to minimize the problem, which I do believe is quite significant and more widespread as these RR's get older).

I wonder if the sunroof pans on the new L663 Defender are the same material? Hopefully not.
Yeh definitely not good - anyone with a 405 or 494 really needs to check it out if you catch the leak early like me you can fix it - otherwise you will find your self with a blown amp and tub full of water….

1 - 18 of 18 Posts