RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a 1995 LWB Range Rover that I absolutely cherish. Recently I noticed a wet spot along the (bear with me here) passenger side carpet, up against the door/metal strip along the floor. The water collects along that strip, but does not seem to migrate towards the middle of the floor from there. I have tried soaking it up but given that I live in Seattle, it hasn't been dry enough here to dry out (even wet damp left out at room temperature stay damp), but whatever moisture I do get out always returns. It does not seem to be weather related, but I suppose I can't rule it out. It seems like an odd place to collect water if it were a mechanical issue, and it's not coolant because I used to have a Rover with that issue and know the smell well, not to mention that I have actual coolant in my tank right now, not water.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm terrified that this will become a mold problem in short order if I can't figure it out. I also have other (mechanical) things I'd rather spend my money on that need to get fixed up.

Also, I'm by no means a mechanic, but enjoy doing some of the (extremely basic) maintenance.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Considering the record rains we've had with the last couple storms I would check your front sunroof drains first. I have one Rangie that has never leaked a drop with nice damp interior from last weekends rain.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts
Condensation drain pan/box could be clogged with insulation, pine needles, leaves etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I second the front sunroof drain. If you are parked on a hill, I can imagine it flowing back like that. I park my 1993 with the front facing downhill to hopefully lessen the flow in thru the wiring harness holes. Open the hood and you will see the sunroof drain tubes around the same level as the side mirrors. Take the interior kick panel off and look for signs of water. You can try pouring water into the sunroof channel and look for water coming out the tube.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I think I found the location. I pulled back the carpeting and rubber flooring and found this hole. It seems to go all the way through, and my guess is it's been getting moisture in from the tires kicking up water from the wet road. It was really wet around the opening. I could be wrong and will still check the sunroof channels. I took off the kick panel and it wasn't wet behind it though. Anyone know what this is for?

WP_20150122_004.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your floor is beautiful compared to most. Is the hole at the round rust spot in the picture center? If so, that seems like one of the mud flap bolt holes. If the mud flap is removed and the body underneath is dirt free, duct tape underneath will stick for a long time as a temp fix. Or silicone.

My 1992 and 1993 (in pic) have 3 mud flap bolt holes and a fourth hole nearby at the kick plate. The white tape is in the middle of the bolt holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That. Is. Insane.

The hole is the puncture in that tape-ish substance over the tubey-looking indent. Some nice technical-jargon there for you, but it's all I got. I'm able to see daylight through the puncture, though it looks like it's supposed to not have an opening on the other side.

I want to just strip the interior, sand down all the rust, and douse the thing in sealant.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
I want to just strip the interior, sand down all the rust, and douse the thing in sealant.
Excellent idea. Compared with other floors I have worked on yours should be a much easier job. It also gives you a great chance to clean everything from seat rails to cubby edges.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My drivers side was worse. I scraped off the rust flakes, degreased, used rust converter, used por15 metal ready and painted it with por15. The metal ready is a rust converter so did not need to use 2 different converters. I cut out the wet rubber foam stuff and put some thermo heat shield down. The carpet was in fine shape so still have carpet on top. I am happy with the result. Going to do the same on the passenger side.

Here is my 1992. It is in worse shape than my 1993.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys.

How hard is it to get the rubber padding back in? I cut the passenger side section out last week (still not dried out from all the water), but after taking the console out, I realized how big of a job getting the rest up would be.

So assuming I do take it all out, what is a good option for replacing it?

Thanks again guys. Love learning about this thing, but I'm definitely starting at a fairly significant knowledge deficit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used Cool It Thermo Tec Super Sonic Acoustical Mat. It is for heat and sound control. It is solid but moldable. No foam. I did not want foam. Only problem it is very thin (70 mil thick) compared to the original mat. Bought from Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
now that you have found the most common area for rust, you also need to check the rear cargo area floor. this is also prone to rust like you have already found.

many folks including myself leave the water absorbing mat out as it is one of the main reasons the area rusts - it is always wet.

you also need to really seal the mud flap bracket holes so that water doesn't enter through them - this is the primary way water gets in, the mat gets soaked, and the result is the rust you have found.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts