RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
12 Posts
Was at a red light and heard a very loud thump sound come from the rear of the car. The car squeaked during acceleration and braking afterwards. The loud thump was a one time thing. The squeaking lessened and lessened over time (about 3-4 stop/red lights) till I got home. It's night time but nothing looks out of place or wrong.

Also separate, yesterday my car makes a werid gargling noise in/around both side vents. Notice is when the car is slowing to a stop or taking off (when neither the brake or acceleration pedal is pushed). Not too concerned about this as I am with the thump.

About an hour away from LR dealership/trusted mechanic. Any idea what the thump could have been? Anything I should look for/at?

·
Banned
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
Can you provide as much information about your vehicle as possible, age, engine size, service history etc...

I will do my best to help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it might have been bad gasoline.

ironically i post on here asking if Kroger gas is ok (had 60 cents off a gallon), i didn't know till after i started pumping that their premium is 92 not 93. also i googled bad gas and the first video that comes up a guy talks about if you see a tanker at a gas station that you should keep on moving...basically as he fills the gas his pipes loosens up the sediment and you can end up with debris in your gas... and a tanker was behind me as I will filling. Another video said if you have bad gas it sounds like a cherry bomb in your exhaust.

I don't see anything wrong, if anything my tailpipe on the right looks a bit darker like it had smoke coming out of it. I am guessing there was debris in the gas and something combusted and came out my tailpipe. I guess that would also explain the squeaking that slowly went away as i used my brakes (dust/debris went on the rotors).

I had 3/4 tank of the kroger gas, i just topped it with shell 93. drove it around quite a bit yesterday and no issues. hopefully it was a one time debris that caused that thump sound and hopefully it didn't damage anything. I'll continue to top off with shell 93 gas every 3-4 gallons till the kroger gas is all used up.

never used any octane boosters but something suggested that also

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Let's end a couple of myths right off here.

Your exhaust would be no where near your brakes so would have nothing to do with brake noises.

Any particulate stirred up by filling the underground tanks would have to make it past the filtration at the pump distribution before it gets to the pumps that have additional filters. Then after you fill your tank sediment would have to make it past your fuel filter. So no, you didn't have any sediments causing discolouration on your tailpipes.

"Bad gas" is usually poorly maintained water filtration at the station. On rare occasions a driver will fill a tank with an incorrect grade of fuel.

There is no need to add octane booster for one digit off on the octane. You could have filled your tank with regular and the ECU would adjust the ignition timing to eliminate any possibility of knocks.

If you absolutely feel the need to add something to the tank a fuel drier would eliminate the possibility of water in your tank.

Topping off is just prolonging the "bad" fuel in your tank. Run it down to an 1/8 and then get a tank of fresh fuel. You are not going to damage anything. Bad gas can not harm harm anything... it may reduce your power by a few ponies but it is not anything to panic over.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Tell us more about the thump, please. As for the bad gas: put new gas in it when needs it, as advised above.

Have a recording of this "gargling" noise? Probably fuel pump. And once again, it would be really useful to know what year and what model and what mileage and what work have you recently had done. SC vehicles have their own set of noises, while the five liter units sound distinctly different from 4.4s. And noises arise as vehicles age. Basic stuff!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'10 sport HSE about 85 or 86k miles. last service was the 75k mile service at 77k mile mark about 2 years ago from LR dealership. Had my brakes/rotors done a year ago from an independent mechanic and had just a oil change done about 6 months ago from a LR dealership. Ironically they didn't mention anything else wrong...usually expect them to say one thing or another, not sure if they inspected anything else or how much they inspected.

The thump sound literally sounded like the back axle fell to the ground and multiple the sound by 10x or sounded like someone rear ended me.

I'll have to record the gargling sound.

Now, yesterday when I took the car out and at one stop sign I heard a grinding sound come from the under the front hood (sounded like the rear bottom under the front hood). I was braking as I was approaching the stop sign, but I want to say this grinding noise caused my car to slow down (not just the brakes).

Also yesterday, as I was leaving a parking lot, I moved the car to Drive and noticed the car did not roll forward. Normally the car creeps forward on Drive (maybe less than 5mph), but the car felt like it was stuck. I had to use the gas pedal to move the car (didn't have to floor it or anything to move the car, just normal pressure). I stopped at maybe 15 red lights or stop signs after this parking lot and of course I'd test it out by waiting 2-3 seconds to move from brake pedal to gas pedal and the car rolled forward as it should fine the other 15 times.

As for why the car didn't roll forward in Drive mode in the parking lot, I'm not sure, there wasn't any noise. I was on level parking lot and didn't have the parking brake on.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
You need an old priest and a young priest....:lol:

It really is possible that your parking brake is having issues and all of this is a failed cable or shoe hanging up in the PB drum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts