RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happily purchased a 2012 RRS last Saturday. I have been a little apprehensive to dive into RR world but since I watched my Dad own 2 and my brother with a LR4 (both with minimal-nil problems) I finally decided to take the plunge. A gently used 2012 sport with 49,000 miles seemed to be a safe bet. After the Mrs. spent the last 6 days using it to fetch groceries I figure today would be good day to take this beauty out. My choice was a nice jaunt up the Norcal coast on Hwy 1 to see how she fared on the open curvy roads. Nothing wild but just cruising along enjoying the scenery, unbelievably smooth ride, tight cornering and decent passing power. After heading back in towards town as I rolled up to a stop sign I stuck it into sport mode. I pressed the pedal down (again nothing I haven't done 100 times in my Jeep commander) it quickly sprang forward and started off. Then after about 100' the dash lit up like a Christmas tree! Warning light and a power reduction mode come on (limp mode?). Hoping it was some code that would clear I gingerly drove closer to the nearest town with a bead of perspiration forming on my head. We could smell raw fuel and if I pressed the pedal down a little grey smoke would come out of the driver side tail pipe. As I rolled into the nearest town the battery light flashed a couple times. I figured pulling over was now a necessity as I pulled into a parking lot the car died.....So a AAA tow to my house later has me wondering 1. Why I didn't next day air my scan tool? 2. What the heck happened? We haven't fulled the car yet since purchase and the dealer made sure to fill it before we drove out. Would 87 octane do that (if in fact they used 87)? Any other ideas? We were literally commenting on how smooth, quiet gorgeous it was before the code flash. It is under warranty but If anyone any ideas or places to look before it goes to the dealer Tuesday that would be much appreciated. I look forward to being a RR owner for years and hopefully this is just a hiccup...hopefully..

·
Registered
39 Posts
It could be a software issue. I haven't had mine looked at I have a 2012 and after throttling it on the freeway, it went into restricted mode. Some people say it's software, but after i turned it off. It went back to normal. I didn't have the smoke though. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI-The dealer ended up diagnosing it as failed fuel injector/s. They had to run the it a while to get the raw fuel cleaned out but after changing all the injectors and new spark plugs they have given it a clean bill of health. Supposedly me woodin' on it just pushed "Barely hanging on injectors" into failure. Cost to the dealer was $2,800 so at least it was nice to have to pay out of my pocket. I figure have the diff oils, brake lines, brake fluid changed and throw into sport mode on the way home and see how it drives....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
J50cal
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing