RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along today then all of a sudden my car appears to sound loud as Im driving along. Smoke starts to appear from under the car. I cant really pinpoint where its coming from. But it sounds like its coming from one of the diffs based on the fact that theres a grinding sounds too. When I put in it gear the car didnt want to idle forward. It would move in reverse for a bit then the grinding sound would come back. When I checked both diffs the oil was fine in there. No oil leak was apparent from anywhere under the car. Im clueless as to what it could be cause the car moves when put in D or R. What other things could I look at that would cause a grinding sound when the car is being driven. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rrtoadhall said:
Did you check your transfer case and transmission?
Didnt check the Transfer Case. I did check the fluid levels in the tranny. According to the dip stick the the tranny was full. Though I did check when the tranny was warm.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
It's clearly broken so I'd suggest draining all fluids from transfer box, axles and gearbox (in that order) and checking for metal in what drains out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
its front diff season!! It appears that you may have a bearing problem in the front diff (or rear). I had the same issue, grinding noise, then unable to move forward unless I reversed first for a few feet. It was almost impossible to get it to move when the wheels were turned. Seems that in my case the bearings broke, fired into the diff itself...well read my post for all of the ugly details. First thing, after checking for metal bits ( i had bearing bits - like the whole bearing) then see if the bearing is shot, hopefully that is all that has been damaged.

cheers

george

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
checked both diffs. Oil is brown not shiny with metal bits. Will check transfer box and gearbox (in that order) to see if there is anything shiny in there. I can move forward slowly if the wheels are straight without any noise, I can also move in reverse (slowly) as well without any noise. Hopefully its a case of low fluid in something. Will post pictures once I get things open. Are there bearing or anything that would fail in a transfer case that would cause the noise I am experiencing? Thanks again for all the replies, the info is absolutely wonderful

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
221 Posts
You just answered your own question by saying you can move without noise with the wheels straight ahead.

When you turn your wheels, the only things that operate differently to when you drive straight ahead are, the differentials and the front CV joints.
"Grinding noise" would however favor the problem being in the differential.

Cheers

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keijo said:
You just answered your own question by saying you can move without noise with the wheels straight ahead.

When you turn your wheels, the only things that operate differently to when you drive straight ahead are, the differentials and the front CV joints.
"Grinding noise" would however favor the problem being in the differential.

Cheers

Hope the picture is displayed. That would explain, I guess, why it was pulling to one side before things went really downhill?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
:shock: Holy ****!!! :shock:
That can't be good

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its bad but when It first happened I was thinking along the lines of a much more costly repair. Im not looking forward to what may be going on in there that caused it to happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts