RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what happened

Today, changed my vacuum hoses for the cruise control.

Drove fine for 25 minutes

Then when restarted, again, engine would spin in park at 3500 rpm, in drive at almost 2000 rpm

Then after multiple restarts, in park would be under 1000 rpm, can feel it shaking, sounds like its struggling and has the check engine light on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Definately sounds like your throttle positioner sensor TPS mine did the same thing. Have you had diagnotic testing on it?When I had mine it said the TPS was going in and out causing my RPM's to go up and down. You can still go to Napa or carquest and they should check it and let you know for free. Let us know

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it just happened, as of an hour ago. It's staying low now.

If I hit the gas slightly, it will fly up to 3500, then return (after one full second after I take my foot off the gas) to extremely low idle, lower than usual

I'm also afraid to drive it anywhere, because if I have to hit the gas, the engine will spin higher than usual.

Is the TPS specific to Range Rover, or are they pretty much the same for every car?

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Have you inspected the throttle cabled to make sure something isn't kinked or one of the hoses didn't come loose and is binding something?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No binding etc on the throttle cable.

It's definitely a TPS. I hit the gas, sometimes it returns to running where it was (around 1000 rpm) and sometimes jumps to 3000 rpm and then returns after a second.

Where do I get a tps?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I clean it off, or do I need to replace it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
No lol I already tried if I could I would of done that. Everyone I talk to said I should have it replaced. You can ask Scotty if he has a used one but more than likely you have to replace and then have the values reset. Hope this helps bro.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Shoot Scotty a PM, I am sure he has a pile of them, all tested etc.
Just make 110% sure that no cables are kinked/snagged etc. weird it happened after you messed with the vacuum lines.
Make sure the throttle is moving freely while using your hand to move the throttle body and let it return freely.
Obviously while engine is NOT running.

Martin

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked it, it's all nice and free, no kinks. AB is at $110. Thankfully, I have a Lexus LX470 to get around, so it doesn't have to happen asap.

I called on a parting out 03 disco, hasnt called me back yet...

I'll pm Scotty, as a trip to SD is in need anyway, so I could always pick up from him in person.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh well, just ordered from AB. $110 is cheap on this car.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I drive it without doing damage? Need to run a quick errand, the LX470 is in the shop without a loaner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts