RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to work this morning I had a sudden loss of power, and then the vehicle started to almost die, then rev up, then almost die, rev up etc for a few passes. I tried to give it gas, and it died. On a restart same behavior. I let it sit for about 1 minute, fired it up, It Rev'd up to about 2k then fell down to normal .75. No further issues, drove it to work.

This had happened about 2 months ago, so I replaced the Idle Air Valve sensor / Stepper. But I will say, I have not reset the computer since installing.

Do I need to reset the computer? I was told by a mechanic friend of mine that the rig needs to be hooked up to the diagnostic computer to do the reset.

Thoughts on this one? No service engine soon light, and a very intermittent issue...

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Could be your TPS? Hook it up to a Rovergauge and you'll see pretty quickly if it's bad.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooo that is a good thought. My TPS is about 2 years old. I guess it could be bad again. My alternator only survived 2 years haha. I will check it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had similar incident with another engine - and the revs climbing then dying sounds to me like a fuel blockage. Even a tiny bit of crud could make an engine behave like that. If it was a big bit your problem wouldn't resolve itself. Small bit? Probably atomised in the the internals of the mighty V8.

As to the rest I defer to those more ECU-minded than myself.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I've had similar incident with another engine - and the revs climbing then dying sounds to me like a fuel blockage. Even a tiny bit of crud could make an engine behave like that. If it was a big bit your problem wouldn't resolve itself. Small bit? Probably atomised in the the internals of the mighty V8.

As to the rest I defer to those more ECU-minded than myself.
You raise a good point. I had blockage in my fuel pump and filter. We found charcoal like sediment in both, as well as the bottom of a new tank. However, if it was blockage, it would eventually just stop firing at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts