RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 RRS Lux! The seller said he only has one smart key. Today when I left the key inside the house, with car doors unlocked, I found that I was able to start the car. I've tried to hide the smart key in the drawer of a room farthest (50+ feet) from the car and was still able to start the car.
I am trying to figure out if:
A) the push button start works even when the key is far from the vehicle
B) there's a key hidden somewhere inside my car
C) there's some electrical glitch
D) some other reason I can't think of

Some other details that I'm finding:
1. When the smart key is inside the house the car indicate that the key fob battery is low. Could this be that the hidden key (if there is one) inside the car is having low battery? This message does not come up when I have the smart key in my pocket.
2. If I lock the car with the remote and leave the key inside the house, I am not able to unlock my using the door handle button.

Someone please enlighten me. Finding a hidden key would save me about $350 for a spare key. Thank you!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
The missing key fob is in the car somewhere. Start with looking beside and under the driver seat or even in the fold where the back meets the base.

The way it acting when you dot have a key it won't let you open it indicates a key inside vehicle.

Good luck with the search!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try leaving the key in the house. Drive the car about a block or two away out of range of the house and key. Shut the car off and try to start it back up. If it starts, there is a key inside. if doesn't, you will be doing a little jog back to your house to get your only key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if u dont found it u have to disable it and program another second key to ensure the vehical not turned on if you are away from it

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! The seller said he left it on the console and it fell to the floor when he turned. He couldn't find it. He took it to the dealer and they looked for 2.5 hours and couldn't find it either! I suspect it fell into the air vent under one of the front seats. I'm trying to get a borescope to look in there.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
It can be between the seats and the console. The fob is big enough to get jammed in any of the vents. It can be inside the ashtray or even at the back/jack compartment. Good luck!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
206 Posts
It's amazing how those small things disappear in the car. My zippo fell out of my jacket pocket whilst driving and I spent three weeks looking for it. My brother in law found it in 30 seconds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys were right! I found inside of the air vent under the driver seat. It dropped down the 90 deg bend so it was not visible looking straight in. It took me less than 5 minutes to find it with a borescope but I spent another 1.5 hrs retrieving it with the borescope hook tool and a coat hanger :). Saved me $350 and it resolved the suspected battery drain issue (vehicle likely didn't go to full sleep mode). Thanks again.

Attachments

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Those silly sausage-like foam thingies that squeeze between center console and front seats have paid for themselves several times over for me, saving me lots of time and scraped knuckles looking for e-cigarettes, credit cards, loose change, phones, receipts, keys, fries, etc. in that black hole... Once you squeeze them in place they kinda disappear from view anyway, but trust me: one day you will be very happy they are there. I highly recommend them: https://www.amazon.com/Drop-Stop-Original-Patented-Filler/dp/B00BYH6C1E

1 - 12 of 12 Posts