RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this more recently. When I start my engine, almost immediately (5 out of 10 times) I hear a loud noise like a whistling noise. I like to say that the car is whistling at me but I guess not. Anyway, once I start driving, I'll hear it again randomly. I have not been able to link it to anything. Sounds like it comes out of the speakers. Any ideas on this? It's just very strange to me.

This didn't always happen. Just more recently.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think it's the ECU fan - I have it too, but I haven't replaced the fan yet.

Search this forum for ECU Fan and I think you will find an answer.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If BMW engine, I would look at PCV system/ oil separator valve.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you switch off the engine, does the sound persist?

If so, my money's on the ECU fan.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You have the Jag engine then... probably wouldn't be as likely to need PCV maintenance like the BMW does, but if there is a whistling/howling, it still could be a hole in a vacuum hose... does it change pitch when you rev the engine, or does the sound come from inside the cabin? If inside the cabin it is most likely the ventilation system. I know with mine, depending on the settings for mixing warm/cold air there are times when it may cause a little whistling sound and adjusting the knob which controls how warm/cold the main vents are will make it go away. It could also be the blower fan itself but less likely.

·
Registered
106 Posts
do you have auto-recirculate on the a/c? i had a strange whooshing/whistle like sound randomly happening. once time it didn't stop until i turned off the recirc. turned it back on, heard it for a sec, then stopped. i think (for me at least) it is the valves opening and closing the gates in the recirc system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts