RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this well maintained 95+ P38 4.0SE with 120K miles on the clock.

it is running fine, Nanocom reports no errors , I get only one message on the dash in summertime (tailgate open, I need to sort out the switch), other than that I have been enjoying it since 2006, so I think I know the car well.

It has been few months now that I am hearing a sort of faint "ppfeeeewwww" sound inside the car....

- sometimes is lowder, other times is barely audible,
- sometimes it seems to come from the left other times from the right
- I does it when driving or standing at redlight,
- with or without the gear in,
- with or without the foot on the brake
- with or without the AC on.
- no correlation with the speed
- with or without front passenger
- with or without safety belt on
- I though it could be the radio as it needed to be repaired but , it kept making the sound also when the radio was not in.
- it is not cyclical, sometimes it will sound 3 times in 15 minutes, other times nothing for 1h.
- I cannot tell if it is something related to the hot weather, however I recollect hearing the nose in the evening when it should be cooler.

Any pointers?

should I just wait for something to brake down? `)`):mrgreen:

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
of course I meant "break down"... I hate these automatic correctors...

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
does it have funtioning air suspension? if so it could be your compressor cycling on and off, totally normal. also the hevac system recalibrates constant while engine running and the sweep of the blend doors causes a hiss. furthermore check the air suspension discharge silencer if it is worn then it sounds like a lorry applying the air brakes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is not the compressor and is not a hiss is more like a faint trumpet.

The sound can be heard when driving and when stopped. Is something NOT related to anything outside the cabin.

My guess are the blend motors that would explain why the noise sometimes come from the right and sometimes comes from the left.

Funny how these things get under your skin...

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
its a land rover, it get under your skin the minute you decide to fall for it. with the radio off in full silence windows up and the engine running,
p38's make all kind of soft noises. one more to ponder is the ABS modulator recharging every so often, "most" interior noises are harmless.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not worried I am just curious.

I have been into vintage cars (it's a family thing) and have been using FIAT ALFA LANCIA cars all my life so I am used to deal with temperamental vehicles.

Most of the times I can get to the source of the noise within minutes, but this time it is puzzling and since it happens when I am driving I cannot investigate it properly.

I will find it...resistance is futile. ...

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Sounds like the blend flaps operating. If so it's just the sound of the blend flaps sliding in the housings.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Yes makes perfect sense.
You can grease them but don't even think of it till you get serious heater - aircon trouble. It is a two day job to take the heater block out if you are on your own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts