RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2012 Range Rover Sport Sport Supercharged w/80,000 miles back in June of 2016. The car was in decent shape and the interior (leather & carpet) is basically clean and in good condition. However, from the get go, I noticed this sour and pungent smell emanating from the interior during rainy weather -- and only during wet weather. Never do I smell or notice it when it's not raining.

Quite often the smell reminds me of a cat litter box or a wet dog. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this is happening! Why in the world would wet weather cause a strange undesirable smell in my vehicle?? I have never smelled anything like this in any other vehicle I've owned in the past. If anyone has any ideas what the culprit may be, please feel free to elaborate. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
You could have a breach in the floor. Put you rig in wading height brace it with jack stands, leave a door open an set the parking brake. check out every square inch of the under carriage. If a road hazard has pierced the floor you could have a moldy pad under the carpet when it get wet again it stinks. Also a good reason to inspect rust, see how your EAS bladders look and check brake lines and fuel lines.

Sounds odd, but off roading in very rocky terrain, a buddy pierced his passenger floor of his P38 when he slid off rut peaks and landed on a rock. A couple weeks commuting on rain soaked roads and his passenger carpet was wet. He thought he failed heater ORings. Sadly it did not smell like coolant. When he pulled out his front carpet out to dry it, the padding was absolutely black. Sure enough there was a jagged hole in his floor.

Another option is that your pollen filter or windshield has leaked at some point in the past and it was not rectified. In the extreme, you car may have been a flood car. Where did you purchase it from?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, but I have serious doubts the car is a flood vehicle. I bought this car in Pittsburgh, PA (cold snowy area in winter) they say never to buy northern vehicles. I have a fair amount of rust on the underside that I've had to deal with. It was a lease vehicle and it wasn't greatly cared for, but its still in good shape. I have babied it and done quite a bit of work to it since purchasing it.

This smell occurs while the car is still sitting in my garage on a rainy day before I even take it out! So, its not like I'm driving in the rain and splashing water up into the undercarriage and its seeping up into the carpet because of a hole. There is some other weird phenomenon happening with my vehicle causing this issue. I suppose I could take it to a garage and have them put it up on a lift and inspect the underside...although...I think a mechanic has already done that a few times already since I've bought the car doing suspension work, changing tires, changing oil etc.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
6 Posts
My RRS had this problem. Feel the drivers and front passenger floors. Are they wet? If so, you probably have a problem with the sunroof drain lines. Two lines run from the sun roof through each A-pillar and drain out behind the side vents in your fender. When the line breaks, water will drain on the inside of the firewall and collect in the foot wells. The good news is that it is a cheap and fairly easy fix. There are a few youtube videos that address this repair. Basically you just remove the fender vent; remove the inside a-pillar trim, splice a new drain tube onto the line and fish it down to the drain hole behind the fender vent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...Dallas911....very interesting. I don't think my front floors/carpet get wet, but I've had rubber mats on them since fairly soon after I bought it. I will have to investigate and see if this may be the culprit. I'll let you know if I find anything. Thanks much!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmm...Dallas911....very interesting. I don't think my front floors/carpet get wet, but I've had rubber mats on them since fairly soon after I bought it. I will have to investigate and see if this may be the culprit. I'll let you know if I find anything. Thanks much!!
Hello, do you have any updates on this issue? I'm having the exact same issue with my 2016 Range Rover Supercharged LWB, and wanted to know if you found a solution. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
473 Posts
vicdrit, touching carpets from the top is insufficient. There is over an inch of foam under that carpet.
I battled the interior leak last summer that had nothing to do with sun roof drains and won.
Pop the door still plastics, that will give you access to the edge of a floor carpet and feel if that insulation foam is moist. It takes very loooong time to dry.
I purchased and small floor drying fan, would put something under the carpet/insulation to raise it and had that fan dry it for few weeks, I mean, not 24/7 but every chance I had, in an good weather, I would leave the door open on the driveway and set fan running, blowing directly between floor and foam layer.
I would think that insulation under the carper has a huge capacity to absorb moisture that just sits there and gives out odor. When you're driving, air is being exchanged in the car from AC, doors open/close and generally it is not airtight so some of upcoming airstream makes it in to the car. Now, when car is parked in the garage - air is standing still and whatever moisture evaporates - odor stays inside and more prominent, that, in my opinion, creates the effect, that you don't even have to take it do the drive in a rainy weather for smell to be there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts