RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,My 2006 RRS has never failed to start (touch wood), but the duration of cranking before it starts seems to vary between almost straight away and 3-4 seconds and I can't determine any specific cause. Once started the car runs absolutely fine.... I don't believe it is fuel related, as I've let the fuel pump charge up from anywhere between 1 and 5 seconds. It's not heat related as I see this on both cold and hot starts. I'm thinking it may be a bad crank position sensor, plugs but I am open to any and all ideas on where to go hunting. BTW I've had AJ8 engines in many different jaguars over the years (2 S-types, an XJ8, an XK8 and an XF SC) and none have ever had a problem firing within .5 seconds of cranking..... The car is an RRS 2006 non-supercharged with ~128k miles. No full history so not sure if plugs a CPS were ever touched.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does this when my battery start getting low and needs to be replaced. I have a 2008 RRS SuperCharged. At least one place to start looking before it gets on the diagnostics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is <1 year old and tested fine. I have been taking notes over the last week and it seems as if the long crank is more associated with a cold start. I have seen on other AJ8 engines that a short duration hot start can lead to what feels like a flooded condition and a longer crank, but that is not the issue at hand.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mine always starts the same way, cold or warm. Sounds like at least two rotations. Never starts at the touch of the key. I assume , probably incorrectly, that the ECU is reading the parameters. I have definitely heard GM cars and others starting at the first compression stroke the way carbed cars will sometimes start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts