RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing my crank pulley due to it wobbling at idle/low rpm due to rubber deterioration. On removal, I noticed that there is a balance weight attatched to the front inside part of the assembly. A friend provided me with two other pulleys, (both from 4.6 Bosch donors) and while one has no weights on it, and the other has three.

The land rover part number for this is LHG000060, and the new part appears to not have any weights on it at all. I have read that the 4.6 was an internally balanced engine, so were these weights used to simply balance the pulley assembly, or are they actually there for crank balance? Would it be ok to use either of the two pulleys, or will that create some sort of crank imbalance?? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the weights on the balancer are just there to zero out the balancer, much like balancing a tire? Just want to make certain it's ok to use another balancer on my engine...

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
361 Posts
I'm 99% sure..

It has to be, say if your harmonic balancer stuffs up, that means you have to take the crankshaft out and have that and the harmonic balancer balanced together..

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
46 Posts
So the weights on the balancer are just there to zero out the balancer, much like balancing a tire? Just want to make certain it's ok to use another balancer on my engine...
Did you ever figure this one out? Dealing with the same issue at the moment...

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
As long as the pulley/damper is balanced, you'll be fine. It's always better to have dynamic balancing on the entire assembly, but for a low revving Rover V8 it's certainly not critical.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
46 Posts
As long as the pulley/damper is balanced, you'll be fine. It's always better to have dynamic balancing on the entire assembly, but for a low revving Rover V8 it's certainly not critical.
My question was more related to ensuring I ordered the correct parts. I have a 4.6L off an HSE, but the suggested replacement pulley has the harmonic balancer on the pulley itself... but my pulley is solid metal where the harmonic balancer is on one of the weights. It was a short block rebuild and I'm afraid that the shop used the weights and parts from a '95 RRC ... so finding replacement parts is tough when it comes to these frankenstein engines.

Either way I'm going to pull the pulley and weights and see what is broken and needs replacing... just worried that the shop made a mistake by changing the configuration of the pulley/weight assembly for this particular block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts