RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me to a thread or anywhere that can give me some ideas on how to reduce the weight of my RRS SC? Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
Well other than stripping the interior out of the vehicle - there is not really a lot that can be done. Dont carry fat people, dont leave stuff in the car - you already have alloy wheels so no weight saving there. Maybe pull out the A/c and heating system, strip out the interior and rear seats, not carry a spare and the basic tool kit. Remove the entertainment system.

Really and seriously - there is not much you can do.

Can I ask why you want to reduce the weight of your vehicle?

Garry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lol I was looking more at like carbon fiber hoods, maybe removing spare, things I haven't maybe thought of. The engine in these cars isn't used anywhere near it's ability and I was trying to think about things that can be done beyond a tune and pulleys. There is for aftermarket products for these cars so I was just wondering if someone figured a way to reduce the weight but I wasn't really trying to go extreme with removing seats or a.c. or anything like that lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The hat (middle section) is aluminum, the disc part is still iron, hence the two-piece. There are other advantages of floating rotors (cheaper to replace just the rotor, less vibration due to the float, less warping from thermal expansion) but maybe only noticeable for racing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interested in this brake idea. You guys know who carries them? I just searched the brembo site but didn't see them listed for my model.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Interested in this brake idea. You guys know who carries them? I just searched the brembo site but didn't see them listed for my model.
Quick search turned up this brembo kits for rover , don't know if you can find just two-piece floating rotors that fit the stock brake 2013/rrs/sc brembo calipers. This kit is for 2010-2017 rovers (405 x 34mm rotors)
Of course, do some more searching for better prices and call around (brembo) to see if they make just the hats/rotors
for the stock calipers. This was the most expensive kit from brembo, figured the supercharged rovers already have excellent braking systems - so what could make it better - more money!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,707 Posts
Hmmmmm $9000 for 65lbs reduction, no HP increase but .01 second faster off the line. sounds perfectly logical. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Give me the $5000, remove the spare tire, jack and tools and call me if you get a flat. I will be there in no time!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just enjoy what you have. Trying to turn a hiking boot into a running shoe will just give you something compromised and not good at either, no matter how much money you spend.
No matter what you do, an RR is intrinsically never going to accelerate or handle anything like a well-sorted sports car, but neither will that sports car, have the off-road capability, feel as refined, carry as much of a load, or ride as comfortably over bumps.

If you're prepared to spend significant money, you could trade it in against a 2014+ V8 SC RRS, which shed a massive 750lbs from the move to an aluminum body and a monocoque construction. If outright performance is really your thing though, your best bang for the buck truly is to get a second (or different) car intended for road use only. You can get a used Jaguar XKR with the same motor for maybe $30k, and it will destroy the RR on the road.

If you're still determined to remove weight from your RR, most luxury cars have hundreds of pounds of heavy sound deadening material stuffed in all the hidden places. I suspect a Range Rover is no different. Finding and removing all that will lighten your car a whole lot, but there will obviously be a corresponding loss of silence/luxury which in my opinion will both devalue and partially ruin the vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am rolling laughing. I will remove spare, jack, tools, and all fat people. Then I am gonna remove the body and replace it with aluminum like the 14. Then I am gonna buy $9k brakes for my .01 HP. Hahahaha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts