RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm thinking about creating a website that basically collects (and cites, of course) a lot of the key data for RRCs into one place. Sorry for putting this in the Classic technical forum, but I'm only going to do it for the Classic to start, so you're my audience. The idea I have is this:

The site is organized to match the Table of Contents of RAVE, and shows each RAVE 'chapter' at the top of each section, but then under that, has citations/reprints of knowledge that has been collected through forums. It's kind of like taking John Brabyn's idea a step further - summarizing people's fixes and experiences, but by linking to very relevant forum threads, with the idea that it would be the 'perfect' starting point for diagnosing an issue, learning about an issue, finding parts interchangeability, printing out, or having on an iPad next to you while you work. I'm also toying with the idea of anyone being able to create an account and 'bookmark' pages to save for later. So for example, page 19-6 "Fuel System" would have:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19-10: FUEL SYSTEM
[corresponding Rave page scan image(s)]

19-10-a: FUEL FILTER ELEMENT
Threads (link to relevant forum threads) Submit a link
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)
Parts (list of parts that 'work', YMMV) Submit an item
  • NAPA 1234-2345 (OEM)
  • Kragen 9876-987-23 (aftermarket, works for Johnny)
  • AC Delco 0987-876 (aftermarket, works for Billy)
Installation (list of links about installation) Submit a link
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)

19-10-b: INTERCOOLER
Threads (link to relevant forum threads) Submit a link
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)
Parts (list of parts that 'work', YMMV) Submit an item
  • NAPA 1234-2345 (OEM)
  • Kragen 9876-987-23 (aftermarket, works for Johnny)
  • AC Delco 0987-876 (aftermarket, works for Billy)
Installation (list of links about installation) Submit a link
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)
  • (link to thread)

< BACK: 19-9: FUEL SYSTEM, TDi | NEXT: 19-11: FUEL INJECTION, Pump & Timing >
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the type of feedback I'm looking for:
1) What would be useful while working on your truck?
2) What other 'sections' of a page would be useful to you?
3) Is there any other way of organizing a site like this that you would prefer?
4) I'm deliberating between just linking to threads for reference, or actually copy/pasting their content and citing the link. Any preferences?

·
Registered
87 Posts
:thumb: Digging the idea. One of my biggest pain points with RAVE in PDF format is actually finding/navigating the information as I can't just click a hyperlink in the table of contents. Let me give this some more thought (as it's late on the east coast) and get back to you.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Graham.

Yes, if there was just a proper digital version of RAVE that would be a big improvement. Maybe that's a good starting point for this - since I assume this is probably a relatively large need for many.

The thing that sparked the idea for me was really just about gathering the great info on the forums into an organized format that is easier to find through 'drilling down' (like RAVE) rather than searching, then it dawned on me that this 'organized format' already exists in the form of the RAVE manual.

One thing I need to get my head around is how many RAVEs exist and how they're split up. Just haven't looked into it yet, but in time I'd love to do the rest of them as well.

I really like the idea also of users being able to submit/edit content (so I don't have to do all the heavy lifting), but that's a little more complicated to build. So I'll have to look into that once I get going.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
I am very much confused by a few of the statements above. There are "proper" digital formats of RAVE. I have two versions and both versions have fully clickable menus. My first version is the standard "disc" type where an install and windows OS are required. This version also covers Defender and Disco I. However the models covered in a particular download or on a particular disc doesn't matter as each model is a stand alone item and can be packaged with other models depending on where you download from or which disc you purchase. The version above that we encourage folks to use is a standard PDF version and will run on any platform with adobe acrobat reader... yes this includes Mac products. Again, it has fully clickable menus and is easily searchable.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am very much confused by a few of the statements above. There are "proper" digital formats of RAVE. I have two versions and both versions have fully clickable menus. My first version is the standard "disc" type where an install and windows OS are required. This version also covers Defender and Disco I. However the models covered in a particular download or on a particular disc doesn't matter as each model is a stand alone item and can be packaged with other models depending on where you download from or which disc you purchase. The version above that we encourage folks to use is a standard PDF version and will run on any platform with adobe acrobat reader... yes this includes Mac products. Again, it has fully clickable menus and is easily searchable.
That's great news Toad. See, I told you I hadn't looked into it yet ;-)

I do remember seeing a RAVE online with clickable menus. I have a PDF I use personally. Didn't know about the disc version.

So maybe this will make my site easier since the content is already digital. Now the only thing to do is add the 'user' content.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great idea!!
Things are normally scattered all over the place. How much pain would be to cross reference interchangeability of parts also. The questions come up often, especially for us, that are trying to keep Classic's on the road. I bet Paul Grant would be awesome help.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great idea!!
Things are normally scattered all over the place. How much pain would be to cross reference interchangeability of parts also. The questions come up often, especially for us, that are trying to keep Classic's on the road. I bet Paul Grant would be awesome help.
Great question. This is something I've had in-mind in-particular. So far, what I'm thinking is to simply have a list of part manufacturers and their corresponding part numbers, linked to the forum thread (or article) which discusses its usage. Paul Grant? How would I get in touch with him?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Eugene.

It's tips like what I would get from (people like) Paul that need to go on this new site, but I won't have the time to make all the calls and do all the searches myself, so I'm going to look into making it easy for people to add their own content.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is good concept. Lets see if there is enough interest from the forums. If you need help I am here. I have talk with Paul before, he is really nice guy, so is Okierover and others with long experiences. Maybe we can make the "searches and hunting for info " more friendly.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is good concept. Lets see if there is enough interest from the forums. If you need help I am here. I have talk with Paul before, he is really nice guy, so is Okierover and others with long experiences. Maybe we can make the "searches and hunting for info " more friendly.
Thanks for your offer Eugene. Help would be a necessity for a project like this, but I also see it being a long-term growing collection. I think the ideal situation would be having the bulk of the site formatted around the RAVE, but then on each page is a section more like a Wiki, where anyone can add/edit/delete content that is largely peer-reviewed.

But probably for launch I'll set it up so that anyone can submit a bit of content to a (RAVE) page and I will review it and add it. I probably could make a few of us 'administrators' to moderate these submissions so that it's not all on me.

I'd probably adopt a 'mobile-first' design strategy so that the site is pretty much designed to be run on a tablet or phone (to accommodate us who use these devices while working), which would work fine on a desktop/laptop computer, and of course, print out very nicely for us luddites who still have a printer ;-)

I'd probably keep the 'design' largely absent, and focus on layout and making the content very easy to read.

1995 Alpine White NAS LWB
(aka "The Fat Stormtrooper")

1 - 13 of 13 Posts