Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that this is an issue - it is with mine - and wondered if anyone has come up with an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
could you elaborate - is the pump itself weak as in wearing out, or you just want lighter steering and thus think the stock steering setup itself is weak?

Depending on what tires I have on my 94, I can turn the steering wheel with one finger with ease.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the posts....
Although I show as a Newbie on the Forum, it is because I forgot my user name and password and just re-registered to save time and the remnants of my sanity.
I have owned RRCs since 1991 - this is actually my 10th RRC - and the power steering pump is definitely weak. It will be a problem on trails as I'm running 32" tires and even now it feels - sometimes - like I have no steering at all when I'm parallel parking. Might just be the pump, but with bigger tires I'd like a little more power for the trails anyway.
The pump is different on the 1995 V8 serpentine belt than the 1994 and probably different than a 300TDI. The power steering pump on my D90 300 TDI is definitely different and I understand it is reverse rotation to the V8.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
cdb said:
It will be a problem on trails as I'm running 32" tires and even now it feels - sometimes - like I have no steering at all when I'm parallel parking. Might just be the pump, but with bigger tires I'd like a little more power for the trails anyway.
Well cobble the system with those modifications on a 16 year old car and it may well just be tired.

cdb said:
The pump is different on the 1995 V8 serpentine belt than the 1994
Nope - depends on the 94, they started the serpentine setup half way through the year. I believe all softdash's are serpentine setups. My car's been a tarmac tractor most of its life, so maybe mine's just healthier to yours considering I have road biased factory recommended sized tires, and haven't given it a thrashing or two out in the hard stuff. The pirelli scorpions that were on the car when I bought it years ago made the steering allot heavier than it is now with some form of hankooks on it. Looking at the pumps yes they changed them when they went to serp's but they are listed as starting in 1993!

On another note I did replace the PSbox on my classic not long after I got it, and I recall a HUGE improvement after that also. The box failed due to a CV joint blowing due to VC failing. How ever, that being said, the steering on my classic is lighter than my P38.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe down-under on the 1994s, but the serps didn't come to the USA until the soft dash 1995.
Now give us a good V8 turbo diesel and stop hogging all the fun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guess is that you are right about the pump being tired. I also heard from an LR Master Tech that they were a weak unit.
I see I can get a replacement through Napa so I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I replaced my steering pump with a new one on a 1993 RRC. But no difference, still a weak assist.
I was wondering, when you turn the steering wheel to end stops and hold it tensioned, should you hear
some whine from a pressure bypass valve such as in an old Jaguar steering or similar ?
I hear no such sound. I was thinking if the valves in the steering box are ineffective in some way ?
There is some degree of assist but the steering is not particularly light.
And belts are not slipping. Any advice ? Should I go for a remanufactured Steering Box ?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,220 Posts
Don't forget to check the lower universal joint on the steering column - it can get stiff and it feels like the power steering pump has cut out - best check is to spray it with WD40 and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't forget to check the lower universal joint on the steering column - it can get stiff and it feels like the power steering pump has cut out - best check is to spray it with WD40 and see if it gets better.

this^^^ The upper u joint on the lower steering shaft was froze up bought a replacement off ebay it now turns very easy....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just to add a note here so it is easy for others to find. This information doesn't seem widely known, and I would appreciate any corrections if I have some of this wrong. I would very much appreciate some independent confirmation on this info. The ZF brand PS pump used on the serpentine belt 95 RRC seems to be a rather common, widely used pump, and I've seen it also described as a GM type 2. Most applications have a straight inlet nipple while the rover has a 90 degree elbow pressed into the pump. Most hot rod and race shops carry a line of similar pumps, cast iron or aluminum body, AN fittings, and different flow rates. This could be a way to easily fit a more powerful pump. These all appear to be dimensionally identical to the rover ZF and should bolt right on and accept the rover serpentine belt pulley. My current pump on my 95 LWB is labeled as fitting a chevy S10 (late 80's and up I think), it works well but I didn't and still don't know the flow specs for the original pump nor have I taken the time to look up the specs on the chevy specified pump. My pump failed and I needed a quick replacement and at $69, lets try it. My son has a 92 VW Jetta, looks like the same pump. Also listed for SAAB and many GM applications. My point here is it is always good to find usable replacement parts at a local parts place, especially when these items break far from home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.