RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I have been experiencing an odd issue with my 2006 non-switchblade key. The car has not been responding to button presses. Eventually, if I move down the driver side of the vehicle, continuing to press any of the buttons, it will finally respond once I'm toward the back of the vehicle. I tried replacing the key battery with no better performance. Also, this is happening wherever I am -- not in any one specific location. Any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Couple possibilities. Do you only have one key? The key has the transmitter and the car the receiver. Based on your description it could be either. If you have a second key you can eliminate one or the other with a reasonable level of certainty.

I am not completely familiar with the FOB system on your 2006 RR - I believe it is a rechargeable system. If it is it may take some time for the battery to sufficiently charge, at least it did on the LR3 of my neighbors. You will have to drive around for sometime and check if things improve. On some RR models the dashboard will light with a message stating the key battery is low.

Hopefully someone will chime and confirm.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Been dealing with this for 12+ years. 9 times out of 10, I can look around and see a large antenna close by. This is often similar to jamming situation in military. I've found no relief in this period of time. You quickly learn where the hot zones are located!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
rover lover - a most interesting observation. I did not think of an external radio source causing the issue.

I suppose the test would be to see how the FOB performs outside the city limits and how different locations impact the range.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the strangest thing happened, guys:

Not mentioned in my original post, about the same time as the key issue, I was getting an error message on the dash telling me the TPMS had lost communication with the Right Rear tire. Having my tires replaced just a couple months ago, I remember them replacing two sensors. Today, I took it to the shop and they replaced the two original TPMS sensors. Walking back out to the car, I tried the unlock button, and it worked! I've used it a half dozen more times since then and it is working as normal. Is there any chance the TPMS issue could have been causing an interference with the key fob? Or is this just a coincidence?

Also worth noting:

About the same time I received the TPMS bulletin and the key issue, the steering wheel tilt motor (which has been stuck since I've owned the vehicle, except for the very rare occasion when it will raise up when I start the car) has begun working as normal. It raises when I get in or exit the car and goes to where I like it when I start. What gives? Strange electrical issues!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts