RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else getting weak to no GPS signal when you placed your phone on the slot between the cupholders?

Now that I have CarPlay, noticed that my phone's GPS signal either drops or constantly searching when in Waze. If I pickup the phone out of slot, signal immediately picks up?

I'm leaning toward the car, but just in case, want to make sure it's not my phone and see if anybody else is having this issue?

I'm guessing it's probably the slot and the way the phone sits on it, it's blocking the antennas? I also put it down upside down, due to Lightning connector being plugged in.

Maybe it's time to look into an alternative mount for the phone. Little tired of the windshield suction cup mounts. Want as clean as possible. You all still using Pro-Clips mounting to the side?

Thanks.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
I have the exact same problem with weak GPS signal when placing an iPhone XS in the cup holder. It was a bit better when I put the phone in the center slot upside down, but apps like Waze and Google Maps were hunting for my position.

I found that GPS works when I place my phone under the center armrest cover on top of the fridge / cool box, so that’s one solution. The other solution I found is the iOttie Easy One Touch 4 mount. It comes with an adhesive pad that I stuck against the rubberized inside plastic “wall” within the driver footwell. The mount then has a suction cup that you attach to that pad which makes the connection very secure. The mount itself has an articulating arm which you can tilt at a 90 degree angle so it sits as close to the center console as possible and away from your legs.

The picture below is the only one I have right now, but it puts the phone in a good spot without blocking the screens or hitting your legs. My concern with the pro clip mount was potentially damaging the ambient lighting / lower screen during installation since it requires some separation between the outer chrome trim and lower screen.

Here’s a link to the mount:

https://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail/5043/Easy-One-Touch-4-Dash-_-Windshield-Mount

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
87 Posts
I don't have my RRS yet, so I can't comment on cellphone service.

I have however used these Nato Mounting in my last few cars and they work well. The only downside is you need to place a small metal disk on the back of your phone - no biggie. You just need to make sure it is either at the top of your phone or bottom...if it's in the middle it blocks the wireless charging spot. EDIT: Looks like the disk is now a O, so you can still pick up the wireless feature.

I tried the vent mount version and I didn't care for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ4W4KD/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mlb356:
I used iottie in the past and love it, just didn't know where to attache besides windshielf. Now I'll look into the side like your pic. The ProClips claim on their website that it works well with the lights.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
Had a chance to take a picture of the mounting position this morning. Should give you a better idea of how I installed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts