RangeRovers.net Forum banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Community Manager
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
In the closed thread, Sep 6, 2019 Arrivals and Progress on Improvements (with no indication that it is a closed thread unlike the old version that showed a lock against it), there's mention of a few minor tweaks but no mention of the biggest complaint, the one that is causing people to have to resort to the Wayback Machine and spend hours saving all the priceless information. WHEN WILL THE SELF HELP PAGES BE MADE AVAILABLE?
They are still actively working on restoring the old pages.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

·
Community Manager
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I do not have an ETA yet. Advanced search is still under maintenance. Trust me you will know when its ready, you might hear me enthusiastically shouting about it.
-Philip

·
Community Manager
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
How To Multi-Quote

Step 1
: Click the multi-quote icon at the bottom of each post that you want to quote.

Step 2: Scroll down to the text editor where you are going to write your post. Click "Insert Quotes".

Step 3: A small window will pop up for you to verify (or delete) quoted content that will be added to your post. Click "Quote messages".

Final Step: The quoted content will automatically be added to the text editor. Add your comments and click to post your reply.

Added Notes: You can multi-quote from more than one discussion thread in the forum. You can also simply highlight the part of the text you want to quote. A Small popup will allow you to choose the multi-quote option using just the selected content.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Big deal, you could do that anyway by typing the quote and /quote in square brackets and copying and pasting the text you wanted to quote between them. This is a site used by adults that have been able to use it quite acceptably before, so why mess with things that nobody needs or has asked for when there are other things, like the self help pages, that everyone is asking for? You know, the useful stuff not the pretty, pretty junk.

Actually, when I say everyone, I mean those few that are still here. Nearly all of the old regular contributors seem to have already given up on this site and stopped posting. As someone mentioned on another forum, it's only me and Escape that are keeping it going......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,

I recently posted this thread:

>>>>>>>>>>
Where are all the old info pages off rangerovers.net?
Hi All,
recently I went to look up some info on the EAS pump.
All gone! I can't find the massive knowledge base of info
on rangie help at rangerovers.net.

Is this site a forum ONLY now?
Has the old website full of info been migrated somewhere
else on the web?

Much appreciated,
Paul.
>>>>>>>>>>>
I am copying it here to add my voice to the cause.

Please BRING BACK all the priceless info on our Rangies!
We need it , as much or more than the forums.

It's extremely valuable.
It's actually essential for us to keep our trucks going.

Regards,
Paul.

·
Community Manager
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Hi,

I recently posted this thread:

Where are all the old info pages off rangerovers.net?
Hi All,
recently I went to look up some info on the EAS pump.
All gone! I can't find the massive knowledge base of info
on rangie help at rangerovers.net.

Is this site a forum ONLY now?
Has the old website full of info been migrated somewhere
else on the web?

Much appreciated,
Paul.

I am copying it here to add my voice to the cause.

Please BRING BACK all the priceless info on our Rangies!
We need it , as much or more than the forums.

It's extremely valuable.
It's actually essential for us to keep our trucks going.

Regards,
Paul.
Hello @paul500

We have saved the data, it is not lost and we are working on a way to recreate the data and sections however no ETA at this time.

Here are the links we will be working on restoring:
https://www.rangerovers.net/expeditions/index.html

Jeff M

·
Community Manager
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
We have saved the data, it is not lost and we are working on a way to recreate the data and sections however no ETA at this time.
Here are the links we will be working on restoring:
Except that all of those links just go to the main site page and not to anything of any use.
We will update you as soon as these sorted. Jeff is working on this and will have more info to share as soon as there is an update.
-Philip

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You only have to look at the P38 forum. There used to be about 10-15 new posts, and a number of new threads, a day. The number of posts have plummetted and now it seems to be mostly newbies (that know no different) asking questions that have been answered many times before (but as search doesn't work they can't find anything) and as the self help pages are no longer available they can't be directed to those either.

·
Community Manager
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
You only have to look at the P38 forum. There used to be about 10-15 new posts, and a number of new threads, a day. The number of posts have plummetted and now it seems to be mostly newbies (that know no different) asking questions that have been answered many times before (but as search doesn't work they can't find anything) and as the self help pages are no longer available they can't be directed to those either.
Week by week we will get there. Advanced search is back. :)

How To Search The Site

Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.

Simply enter your search word or phrase and click enter on your keyboard.

How To Access Advanced Search

If you have already entered your search words in the search bar but want to narrow down your results or choose to search only certain forum selections, click on “Advanced Search”.

This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from the scroll menu within search in forums.

If you prefer to go directly to advanced search, you can access it under the 3 vertical dots at the top right-hand corner of the community.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Wow, that's really impressive. It's only taken 2 months to introduce an advanced search feature almost identical to those that come as standard in just about every other open source forum software packages. No wonder it's taking so long to bring back the useful stuff, maybe you should consider employing some programmers.......

Here you go, standard search in phpBB forum software

Look familiar?

·
Community Manager
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
The visible layout of search functions on most sites is very similar. It is more than what we see though as it uses an AI powered search algorithm (www.vespa.ai ).

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
10 days and still no updates. I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I still think the important stuff will never re-appear.

·
Community Manager
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
10 days and still no updates. I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I still think the important stuff will never re-appear.
We have the data logged but no ETA at this time on when it will be restored.

If you need to access any of the data ASAP should be able to see it here:

Jeff M

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I've already got all the pages, and not just the one on replacing air springs that you linked to, but rather than linking to the Wayback machine, which would be breaking the terms and conditions of this site, having the pages on the home page and being able to link to them rather than keep repeating the same advice over and over again, would be far easier.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts