RangeRovers.net Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It will be restored at some point once we have a solution for archived wiki data, no ETA on this yet. The problem is all the links are a rats nest of internal and external outdated links
Now this may be a radical suggestion, but why not just link directly to the existing content? Some of the outdated links may be dead, but they have been for years and nobody has been particularly bothered about it as the pertinent information is there. OK, so it will still be formatted in the 'old' style but you will find that nobody cares. We have no interest in whether it looks pretty or not as long as the content is there. At the moment we have a case of style over substance, the site may have style, although that is a matter of opinion, but no substance.

As for the site Intro, or blurb as you keep referring to it. It has been changed, it now more accurately reflects what the site is about but has anyone actually read it? A classic case of editing a bit of text but not reading back what they have written.

"We’re a community forum is to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals"

Where has the spurious IS come from?

and while you are at it, get that totally inappropriate banner photo changed for something that shows a P38, an L322 and a L320 Sport, the three models that between them have had over 150 milliuon hits rather than pictures of cars that the site does not even cater for.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I know it's been the weekend but is it too much to ask that someone spends a couple of minutes to delete two letters and a space?

·
Community Manager
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Updated Blurb sorry for the typo.

Note we can not just link the old wiki/tech pages back until we build out a product for it.

Jeff M

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
What makes you think you need to build a 'product'? It's information, very valuable information, and the presentation is of no interest whatsoever to those that need it. If the information is still there then it must be archived on a server, so what is wrong with a simple link to the server?

·
Community Manager
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
What makes you think you need to build a 'product'? It's information, very valuable information, and the presentation is of no interest whatsoever to those that need it. If the information is still there then it must be archived on a server, so what is wrong with a simple link to the server?
It is not located on this platform for us to link to.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It seems odd to me that people who are working with this stuff all the time seem incapable of making a link work. I can post a link to another website on an unknown server, the Russian spammers can post links to hundreds of other sites saved on multitudes of servers, so why can't you? Just because it is somewhere else, isn't that what IP and DNS addresses do?

·
Community Manager
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
It seems odd to me that people who are working with this stuff all the time seem incapable of making a link work. I can post a link to another website on an unknown server, the Russian spammers can post links to hundreds of other sites saved on multitudes of servers, so why can't you? Just because it is somewhere else, isn't that what IP and DNS addresses do?
All I know is this has been escalated and they are working on it. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Two days with no updates and still nobody has changed the banner photo to something relevant to the site, pathetic really.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
and? I had almost 4,000 under my previous user name. People ask questions, I give them answers.

·
Registered
874 Posts
One more post to 1k Posts!

Congrats.

Jeff M
People just don't post for the sake of posting. The Rangerovers.net was full of sharing knowledge & experience, so that everyone learns. We are disturbed and sad to loose such a wealth of information.
Suggest that you put those info back where everyone can reach.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Most of my recent posts have been on here trying to get the site restored to a similar level of usefulness as it was before but look at what has happened. It took over 2 weeks to get the site intro changed to something that actually made sense, the completely irrelevant banner photo hasn't been changed for one that reflects what the site is about (now I'm no expert at html programming but surely all that is needed is a mouse click on the photo and hit delete? Then find and alternative), search still doesn't work and, while we are being told it is being worked on, links to the old information still haven't appeared. Not only that, but updates seem to be getting less and less frequent.

I predict that in a years time the links still won't be there, the vast majority of users will have found alternative forums to use and the information that used to be on here will be posted everywhere else courtesy of people using the Wayback Machine to recover them and this site will die a long and painful death.

This isn't facebook, we don't post for the sake of it, we post because we have a problem and need an answer or can give an answer. I don't think I have ever started a thread on here but my 5,000 or so posts (under three different user names) are as a result of buying a Range Rover with 204,000 miles on it and driving it until it now has 382,000 miles on it. Just about every fault that can occur has, I've had to deal with it and I'll pass on the benefit of my experience to others. That is what this site is about, helping those that need help and getting help from those that can help and in all honesty, we don't care how the information is presented as long as it is there.

·
Community Manager
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
The developers are actively working to bring back advanced search, I hope to hear an update on this soon.

- Cricket

·
Registered
80 Posts
One more post to 1k Posts!

Congrats.

That asinine, irrelevant post tells everyone precisely what is wrong with the site. Does anyone think a guy like Richard G cares that he's up to 1000 posts? This site is about CONTENT, not the juvenile sugar hit from numbers of posts, trophies or likes.

People like him are the lifeblood of the site.

You have no idea what you have here and how you've destroyed your asset. This is a business; we have no issue with advertising running but why would you destroy the very asset that makes the revenue possible?

How about answering our questions please, with specifics:

1) When is the repair content returning?
2) When will you replace that humiliating (to you) banner photo with something that shows what we're about?
3) Do any of the moderstors reading this know anything about Range Rovers? That's more general, but I have not seen a post from any moderator that shows any knowledge of the subject.

What's happened to Toad Hall? He was the site admin; his style was ah, a little odd, even strange, but he knew the subject.

Tom

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Tom, they've come up with an alterenative banner photo, marginally better but almost as useless as the current one (see the next thread down and feel free to comment so it isn't only me that is complaining). I can answer your last question, RRToadhall is still here but has been demoted from Admin to Super Moderator (which he described as a sort of Admin Lite) while LeftLaneTrucking has resigned his position after being, in his words, talked to as if he was a 5 year old when he spoke to someone at Verticalscope.

As I said previously, I doubt anything will change. We will keep being told it is being worked on until the more vocal of us get fed up and go elsewhere (so the complaints stop) and the remaining members are the new ones that weren't aware of how much information used to be here. They will then find the information posted somewhere else and go there instead so by 'improving' something that wasn't broke, the owners will have killed off the site.

·
Community Manager
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
What's with the Blog? It seems to be a forum filled with random old threads with no answers and no indexing so a reader has no idea of what model is being talked about. Total waste of time and effort, as the views counter shows.....

·
Community Manager
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
What's with the Blog? It seems to be a forum filled with random old threads with no answers and no indexing so a reader has no idea of what model is being talked about. Total waste of time and effort, as the views counter shows.....
It is simply an archive of member blogs from the previous platform.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
I can answer your last question, RRToadhall is still here but has been demoted from Admin to Super Moderator (which he described as a sort of Admin Lite) while LeftLaneTrucking has resigned his position after being, in his words, talked to as if he was a 5 year old when he spoke to someone at Verticalscope.
That's just effing infuriating.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
In the closed thread, Sep 6, 2019 Arrivals and Progress on Improvements (with no indication that it is a closed thread unlike the old version that showed a lock against it), there's mention of a few minor tweaks but no mention of the biggest complaint, the one that is causing people to have to resort to the Wayback Machine and spend hours saving all the priceless information. WHEN WILL THE SELF HELP PAGES BE MADE AVAILABLE?

121 - 140 of 172 Posts